lost in bat terminology please help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2012
Okay thanks for the knowledge. But if all rolling a bat does is speed upr the break in periodand makes the bat hotter faster how is this illegal.
Also I was looking hard at buying a rip-it reaper light read up on the reviews and they seem good does anyone have any experience with this bat. Not sure I am ready to drop 300 or more on a cf5 which has mixed reviews the reaper is half its cost.
Again thanks for the insight and help to a new softball dad.
(PS can someone tell me what DD stands for its driving me nuts not knowing )

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
But if all rolling a bat does is speed upr the break in periodand makes the bat hotter faster how is this illegal.

Personally I am not to hung-up on this but I understand why it is illegal.

DD = Darling Daughter (There are some variations of this like Diamond Diva )
DW = Darling wife
DGD = Darling granddaughter

May 17, 2012
I play NSA and if you hit the pitcher (slowpitch) they send your bat off to be tested. In some of the larger qualifiers they have bat testing done before the first game (on site) and they put an "approved" sticker on for that tournament.

I know lots of guys that do shave/roll their bats and there is a difference. To me it's not worth it; if I were to hit a pitcher or third baseman and seriously injure them I would never forgive myself (plus the lawsuits that would follow).

Sadly the kids are getting this from the grownups.

I say go back to wood bats for all ages.

Now get off my lawn!

:)

Nov 18, 2009
Also I was looking hard at buying a rip-it reaper light read up on the reviews and they seem good does anyone have any experience with this bat. Not sure I am ready to drop 300 or more on a cf5 which has mixed reviews the reaper is half its cost.

You can buy last year's model of bats on e-bay or at some of the closeouts places online for half of what the current model is going for

Jul 26, 2010
Okay thanks for the knowledge. But if all rolling a bat does is speed upr the break in periodand makes the bat hotter faster how is this illegal.

These days (last 2 years), bats are broken in straight out of the wrapper. A few years ago, composite bats needed to be broken in to perform at their peak. What people found was that these bats became hotter and hotter as time went on. These bats actually became so hot that they were banned from NCAA play. It takes several years for the bat banning process to happen in the NCAA, but what you see are all the old stealth and CF3/4's, ect are all banned now for failing their lifespan testing, IE they get hotter as time goes on.

People "roll" their bats, or basically compress them and soften the fibers and resin that make up a composite to give the effect that the bat has actually been used for a few years hitting balls. You could say that it "speeds up the break-in process", or you could also say that it enhances a bats performance. The important point here is that it is ILLEGAL and CHEATING and will get the player and coach banned, and can result in lawsuits should anyone get injured from using an altered bat.

-W

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I have seen a few adult teams with large trashcans that have some sort of heater in it to keep that bats warm. It's big enough to hold all the team bats.

That's all I'd need now, " DD, dont forget your ball bag and cleats...........and grab the trash can too".

eb048fbc.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1