Look at this guy.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Have you considered, or is it even possible to maybe try a new coach? If my dd's PC reacted in that manner, I'd be a little perturbed. As Bill said, the PC should have no problem explaining exactly WHY each "drill" or movement is done. Fortunately, we don't have a PC like that. He explains everything to my dd, multiple times, in the hope that something sticks.... right Bill?...lol. He has dd do her warmups/drills before full motion. It takes a fair amount of time, but it is all done involving the whole body in the movement. So, even if it did nothing for her pitch itself, it also serves to warm up all the muscles that she will be using in her full motion. I would look for a coach who falls more in line with what you feel or may be learning is correct.

Crystlemc - I see your point and know where you are coming from. My dilemma is that while I might disagree with some of her isolation drills, she is really great with my DD (and other kids) especially in the manner/tone she coaches (firm, yet sweet) and has really helped DD this past year, go from no pitching experience to starter. I guess I am hoping that as DD gets better, the need for PC to teach isolated drills will be lessened? Amy - sorry for hijacking your post!

Apr 25, 2010
That is where I am fortunate. Bill is my dd's PC...lol. We looked around at others and I am thankful every day that we managed to get in with him. As I said, he explains why everything is done the way it is. As for as the need for those drills to lessen as she gets older.... well, I believe Bill will have my dd doing hers for the rest of her pitching career. They're not isolated, but you know what I'm trying to say (I hope). Best of luck to your dd in her softball career! I know my dd is loving hers!

Jul 26, 2010
I'm not sure if it was watching Bill's video's the first time that did id (or his recorded seminars on fastpitch.tv) or my own inquisitive nature influencing my daughter, but ever since she's been driving all of her coaches crazy (pitching/hitting, or otherwise) wanting to know exactly why she was doing whatever it is they wanted her to do. I guess this is a good thing, but it does tend to drive the coaches crazy. I know that having the explanations has helped me immensely.

I wish there was a pitching coach in the SF bay area that actually knew why they were teaching the things they teach. I've yet to find one.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish