Live Streaming from GC Team Manager

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 30, 2020
Here is what we are considering implementing this season. Love some feedback.

That is much the same what our team uses. GoPro to record in 4K to make highlight videos for the girls. iPhone to stream to FB and 2nd iPhone to stream to AGL. All mounted on a LynkSpyderplus a gooseneck mount.

AGL has been very aggressive in doing deals with tournaments to get its name out there. Now it has done the same with Alliance Fastpitch. It is all just aggressive marketing to get their name out there and get subs.

Oct 4, 2018
From what I understand, AthletesGoLive uses a tablet for a camera, but I’d be hesitant to hang a big ‘ol tablet on the backstop. I worry about not creating a distraction with my two GoPro-sized cameras and a battery pack. Has anyone encountered an objection from an opposing coach or umpire when hanging gear behind the plate? I guess it’s the new normal.

From a pure usability standpoint, I would rather hang the phone and score on the tablet. There’s much better hardware for mounting a smaller device, and a tablet is easier to read when scoring. I’m planning on using an older phone for Game Manager, and I still have an unopened Mevo that I have a week to decide whether I should send back (see my other post).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going this route too. I purchased the following for about $40, and it holds the phone back from the fence 3/4 inch or so. I think it will work well. My plan is to film on the phone with this mount, then score on an iPad using the phone as a hotspot.

It's a cheaper solution as I had everything but the mount and don't want to spend much. We'll be streaming to Facebook live. It's just 12U and the video is for grandparents and others who can't make it to the game.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
That is much the same what our team uses. GoPro to record in 4K to make highlight videos for the girls. iPhone to stream to FB and 2nd iPhone to stream to AGL. All mounted on a LynkSpyderplus a gooseneck mount.

AGL has been very aggressive in doing deals with tournaments to get its name out there. Now it has done the same with Alliance Fastpitch. It is all just aggressive marketing to get their name out there and get subs.

Do you use a hotspot? Or let each device run individually?

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
I'm going this route too. I purchased the following for about $40, and it holds the phone back from the fence 3/4 inch or so. I think it will work well. My plan is to film on the phone with this mount, then score on an iPad using the phone as a hotspot.

It's a cheaper solution as I had everything but the mount and don't want to spend much. We'll be streaming to Facebook live. It's just 12U and the video is for grandparents and others who can't make it to the game.

We have a LynkSpyder, works great. Now I just need to know what add-on mounts I need (like Josh) to get my 3 camera system going.

Feb 7, 2014
The higher up the fence you can get your lens the better. DD happened to play her home games at a field that had an elevated score booth behind home plate. The scorer didn't mind my LynkSpyder hanging off the fence some 20 feet in the air. For those watching it provided a great view of what was going on beyond the pitcher / catcher. For the away games I often toted a small ladder - every little bit helps if your goal is for the people watching to have a good view!

Jun 30, 2020
We have a LynkSpyder, works great. Now I just need to know what add-on mounts I need (like Josh) to get my 3 camera system going.

Get a couple of 11” articulating arms and phone mounts. I use Smallrig for the arms and Ulanzi phone mounts because they have a cold shoe on them.
Whatever phone mount you get, make sure it has a V-shaped groove on the top and bottom to securely hold your phones. Otherwise, a foul ball may bounce them out.

Jul 14, 2018
I'm going this route too. I purchased the following for about $40, and it holds the phone back from the fence 3/4 inch or so.

It looks like you get a lot with that fence mount, but it doesn’t look like it adjusts vertically. It’s not easy to adjust the whole mounting setup to get the lens to fit inside the “diamond” of the fence crosshatch. Or maybe I’m just a spazz . The LinkSpyder lets you attach the bracket and then fine-tune the camera position, since the center arm goes vertically and horizontally.

The drawback of the Spyder, in my experience, is that it doesn’t respond well to multiple devices hanging off of it. Not that I’ve found something better, but if you have an unbalanced load and the fence gets rattled by a foul ball, I’ve seen everything go out of whack. That’s not a knock on the Spyder, just the reality of hanging a bunch of gear on a fence.

Add to that the fact that you often only have a few minutes to get set up, and it can get frustrating. On a tournament Saturday, the way teams are on and off fields with minimal time in between, you definitely have to optimize the time you spend fussing behind the backstop.

Personally, I’ve had the most success mounting each device individually, using the Smallrig clamp:

SMALLRIG Cool Ballhead Arm

ETA: Can’t get Amazon link to work, just search item# B00DJ5XH4O

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
I made my own mounts. Lots of flexibility when using on fences/nets/posts. All of these are on selfie sticks that can extend and get up about 10-12 feet on the fence.

Attachments

• 20200227_153113_resized.jpg
    20200227_153113_resized.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Mount4.jpg
    Mount4.jpg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Mounts3.jpg
    Mounts3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
Jul 14, 2018
3. Athletes Go Live. Being forced to use for TFL/Alliance games. Not sure of set-up camera etc yet, but we do NOT want to switch away from other streams/devices, so this will be a 3rd camera and a 2nd scorer.
95% of the teams we play already use GC/TM so making them switch doesn't seem realistic.

I’m curious about this. Is the tournament site providing AGL as part of their fee? Or are there going to be officials roaming the grounds and removing Mevos and GoPros from the backstops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles