Little Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
Our local high school pitcher, who just finished 8th grade, is maybe 5'2 and 100 pounds on a good day. This season she won two most valuable player awards from tournaments, routinely throws in the low 60s, and has deadly accuracy.

Oh, she also hit 6 homeruns.

I'd say size isn't necessarily as important as some people make it out to be.

Nov 18, 2013
Are the ones telling you she’s too small other pitchers parents? You’ll run across a few who will offer “advice” that keeps competition from their kids. Most TB parents are great, but the bad ones are real pieces of work.

Jul 31, 2019
Are the ones telling you she’s too small other pitchers parents? You’ll run across a few who will offer “advice” that keeps competition from their kids. Most TB parents are great, but the bad ones are real pieces of work.
Most are people from TB. She played on a lower level team last year. I was told by some she wasn't the right size or good enough to play on a higher level team. She did make a higher level team for next year. We are new to the TB world and don't know much about it. I learned very quickly just to sit by the outfield so I can just enjoy the games.

Jun 29, 2013
If she is little and slower than most, you're going to find coaches who won't believe in her. I've seen it firsthand, some can get past the height, some can get past the fact that the changeup/hitting the spots is more important than the fastball, but good luck finding someone who will give her Sunday innings if she is both shorter and slower than most. Best advice I can give you both is just never quit believing in her, no matter how hard it is on any given weekend. Watch how other teams react to her, you can usually see those who respect her abilities and those who discount her without a lot of effort. Then, try out for the ones whom you sense see what she has to offer as opposed to what she doesn't have. Easy? hell no. But if this is what she likes to do don't give up.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Most are people from TB. She played on a lower level team last year. I was told by some she wasn't the right size or good enough to play on a higher level team. She did make a higher level team for next year. We are new to the TB world and don't know much about it. I learned very quickly just to sit by the outfield so I can just enjoy the games.

If these are 10U parents giving you "advice", there's a good chance that they haven't been around much longer than you (some may have older DD's in TB, but that tends to be rare). In this thread, you have been given good guidance by people a bit further down the TB road, and who have seen a lot more of the TB world...including the dad of a D1 pitcher.

For you, right now, NOTHING is more important than your support of your DD's goals. Those goals may change over the years ahead, and that's okay, but knowing you believe in her 100% is a foundation she needs.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
There's no such thing as too small for pitching in 10U. She's young, she'll grow. My daughter was one of those who developed early (though she did work hard). She shocked everyone when she quit pitching this year in 2nd year 12U. For all anyone knows, your DD could still be pitching 5 years from now and the "she's too small" parents might not even have pitchers anymore. There's no telling. If she loves pitching right now, who cares about the rest of it. Nobody knows what's going to happen for these kids down the road.

May 9, 2019
Good advice above.

My daughter just finished up her last year of 10u. Her team ran across 15-20 10u pitchers that were throwing over 50 mph. The hardest we saw all year was 56 mph. Almost all of these girls that were throwing over 50 mph had one thing in common, they were at least 130 pound. The girls throwing that hard are generally pretty large. Please keep in mind that I said most were big girls, not all.

Tell your daughter to keep working hard. Generally the girls that are smaller at 10u will catch up to the girls that hit a growth spurt sooner than your daughter.

130lb at age 10? you gotta be kidding me...

With that said, my DD is starting first year in 10U TB this year.
She's 9yr old, about 4ft 2in and weighs about 58lb after a trip to the buffet.
Her main weakness is velocity. Haven't clocked her, but I'm sure it's not even hitting 40mph. However, her mechanics are very good and getting better. She is working on FB, Chang up, and a curve. It's not all about speed imo.

But most importantly, she LOVES pitching. I think that's the key. If your DD loves to pitch, then she will work hard at it, and keep working on the craft.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Pitching isn't an amusement park ride and some TB parents are idiots. Learn to spot those parents quickly and throw rotten tomatoes at them...ok don't do that (but if you do..please share video with the group) but certainly don't listen to a word they say.

Aug 2, 2019
my buddy's DD is 4'7" 70lbs. She throws low 40s and is surprisingly effective playing 12B, especially when coming in after the their girl that pitches mid 50s.

My DDs 10U team had a pitcher 4'6" and skinny that was amazing, and a girl that was 4'1" 55lbs that had a few impressive performances as well.

It's one of the best things about softball. Big or small, it doesn't matter. If you can play the game, you can play the game.

Dec 21, 2012
In my DD freshman year of high school ball the umpire who just finished calling the game that my daughter pitched was walking to his car at the same time we were turned to me and said she's really good but too small to ever pitch in college. She had just basically mowed down the entire line up of the opposing team...if memory serves was also 2-3 with 3 rbi! She is only 5'3" 100 lbs. My point is don't listen to the nay sayers. IMO smaller kids will be more successful at the younger ages. The odds going forward are the bigger more powerful girls will rule the day, but there exceptions. Let her work hard and never give up her dream...good luck to you and her on your journey...remember to enjoy it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad