Little Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
DD did a clinic with Denny Tincher a few weeks ago. She made a joke about her diminutive size at one point and Denny got very serious with her: "Did you ever see a gymnast over five-four?" he asked. "You'll have more strength and muscle control than any six-footer, I guarantee you that."

You should have told him to tell that to Monica Abbott, I said on the ride home :ROFLMAO:

Sep 17, 2009
The problem that late-developing players might run into is this: they won't get playing time on top-level teams UNTIL they develop, but developing requires innings, preferably against good competition. So finding the right teams for her is going to be important as she matures (and it may require some team-jumping, ie, a B team to get lots of innings while she's a bit 'behind' and moving to an A team when her size/speed catches up to her spins/approach). She also needs to work very hard away from games with lessons and workouts.

Other than that, I prefer late-developing athletes to over-sized dominant young players.

Sep 17, 2009
In my DD freshman year of high school ball the umpire who just finished calling the game that my daughter pitched was walking to his car at the same time we were turned to me and said she's really good but too small to ever pitch in college.

If he prefaced the comment with "no offense" I'll allow it. Everyone knows that by doing that you can be be offensive and/or rude with impunity.

Dumb (baseball-'smart') people used to tell my lefty DD she couldn't be a catcher; she and I had a list of catchers (this was awhile ago) playing D1 softball that we schooled them with....

Jun 11, 2013
Never forget that this is a game that she should be playing because she likes to play it. If she wants to pitch and put in the extra work it takes to be a good P and you have the resources let her Pitch. I remember as a kid we all played 3 or even 4 sports. We weren't thinking about playing college in them we just played because they were fun. When she is 15-16 you might have some harder decisions to make but she is 10. Just let her be the best player she wants to be.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Dumb (baseball-'smart') people used to tell my lefty DD she couldn't be a catcher; she and I had a list of catchers (this was awhile ago) playing D1 softball that we schooled them with....

You have Jenny Topping on your list, right?

Oct 4, 2018
The smaller girls learn how to get people out without relying on speed alone - and when the maturity levels catchup in 14U & 16U these are often the girls who are still pitching. A lot - a vast majority actually - of the 10U and 12U flamethrowers are no longer pitching by high school - speed aloen is not enough.

And we have a girl locally who is now a high school senior. 4"11, maybe 100 lbs but probably not - throws high 50's - will be the star pitcher at a D2 school at a very good Florida university next year on a very nice scholarship.

Some smaller girls...

Let's be honest. Some of the smaller girls don't pan out. In fact, many of them. I think we've all seen some small girls get shelled because of their lack of speed, and they haven't worked on location or other pitches much so they simply won't be effective.

Of course plenty of bigger girls will flame out as well.

Yes, it's all about mechanics. No matter your size. If you don't concentrate on that you won't make it far.

Oct 4, 2018
130lb at age 10? you gotta be kidding me...

With that said, my DD is starting first year in 10U TB this year.
She's 9yr old, about 4ft 2in and weighs about 58lb after a trip to the buffet.
Her main weakness is velocity. Haven't clocked her, but I'm sure it's not even hitting 40mph. However, her mechanics are very good and getting better. She is working on FB, Chang up, and a curve. It's not all about speed imo.

But most importantly, she LOVES pitching. I think that's the key. If your DD loves to pitch, then she will work hard at it, and keep working on the craft.

My DD is over 5 feet tall, 110 pounds and just turned 10. We just have tall, big family. And we live on a farm and make her carry hay bails and muck buckets. She's just strong. Yet we play against 10U girls much taller and bigger than she is. So 130 pounds at age 10? Yep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478