Little League Softball World Series on ESPN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I don't think the kids from OK played a minute of LL until the States, if they even played that (I cannot see any results for it just a picture of them with a banner)...
It may be a local McLean LL rule--not 100% sure--but if your DD did not attend at least 60% of the LL games she would not not be considered for the All Star Team, which would then preclude competition in Districts, States, Regional, and the WS. You also had to reside within the geographic boundaries of District 4 to be considered for All Stars as well. We had some talented girls that played at McLL but could not do All Stars because of the residency requirements.

Jun 8, 2016
It may be a local McLean LL rule--not 100% sure--but if your DD did not attend at least 60% of the LL games she would not not be considered for the All Star Team, which would then preclude competition in Districts, States, Regional, and the WS. You also had to reside within the geographic boundaries of District 4 to be considered for All Stars as well. We had some talented girls that played at McLL but could not do All Stars because of the residency requirements.
Like I said before, I didn't even know OK had any LL affiliated leagues 🤷‍♂️ I would guess what they are doing is within the rules..just seems sketchy..lol.

I just put my address into the "Find a League" on the LL page and it tells me

"We're sorry, but we couldn't find a league near you that offers Softball. The address you provided unfortunately is not located inside the boundaries of a Little League program. A player is eligible for a local Little League if they reside inside the boundaries of a league or attend a school whose physical location is located inside the boundaries."

Guess my kid is SOL... :LOL:

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Like I said before, I didn't even know OK had any LL affiliated leagues 🤷‍♂️ I would guess what they are doing is within the rules..just seems sketchy..lol.

I just put my address into the "Find a League" on the LL page and it tells me

"We're sorry, but we couldn't find a league near you that offers Softball. The address you provided unfortunately is not located inside the boundaries of a Little League program. A player is eligible for a local Little League if they reside inside the boundaries of a league or attend a school whose physical location is located inside the boundaries."

Guess my kid is SOL... :LOL:
Green country in my area, which is probably what they are under

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I'd definitely be curious to know the restrictions. If every league required that you live in a particular geographic boundary and played the majority of regular-season games, then I'd be pretty interested in who wins that. Wouldn't bother me if all the players were travel ball. There's a reason that travel ball interests no one but the players, parents coaches and sometimes college coaches. The games have no meaning outside of family. But if you're playing for your home town, well, then you've got something. Whether LL actually has that, I don't know.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
LL for the most part died in my area of Houston. Growing up we had two different leagues. One died off and the other died a slower death. We have a much better run baseball program that is non LL, it also includes softball, football, basketball, lacrosse, soccer and basketball.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I'd definitely be curious to know the restrictions. If every league required that you live in a particular geographic boundary and played the majority of regular-season games, then I'd be pretty interested in who wins that. Wouldn't bother me if all the players were travel ball. There's a reason that travel ball interests no one but the players, parents coaches and sometimes college coaches. The games have no meaning outside of family. But if you're playing for your home town, well, then you've got something. Whether LL actually has that, I don't know.
This was why the experience was special for our family and why we stuck with it despite the grind. The LL, through the draft, tried to spread the travel players throughout the Majors teams to achieve some competitive balance and raise the overall level of play. Still, there were plenty of girls who were “Rec only” or had little experience with softball. That is fine and how it should be in LL (a place for all who want to play the game), but at times it made games tough to watch.

In the end, it was a really cool and unique experience to represent our LL, our community, and our State during the LL tournament. I still have the ESPN+ broadcasts of our SE Regionals. My DD got called to the circle from RF to pitch 3 innings of relief in our second elimination game. 9 outs on 10 batters. Kept us from going home that day. One of my proudest moments in her softball “career.” We’d lost to NC in our first game, 1-0. They won the SE Regional (2019) and then the WS.

Nov 13, 2020
McLean LL--VA District 4--is consistently competitive at the State and, often, the SE Regional level by taking a similar approach. There is a travel organization that is loosely affiliated with the LL and ensures that the girls can play both travel and LL, especially during the spring season. In the spring, LL games get priority over travel games. My DD had to once leave a tournament on a Sunday in tears to make sure she was there for a make up LL game that evening. It was hard, but we went. Girls who play for other local travel organizations have to attend at least 60% of LL games (roughly a 15-17 game season plus single elimination playoffs). Having lived through it, it's a huge commitment. My older DD was playing or practicing softball sometimes 7 days a week. From what I've seen against the better teams at the State tournament and at SE Regionals, you will not be competitive if you don't have at least a core of girls that play travel.

we have tried this approach and it hasn’t worked well for us. Our league boundary is too small and the talent we have don’t play for the same travel team so it’s always a nightmare getting it to work for families trying to do both especially when it comes to regular season games and scheduling. We also do the 60% attendance rule as well and we seem to start losing girls at 12 when they start doing really well and their parents are willing to drive hour plus to get them to travel team practice outside of town.

Im glad they are televising it on ESPN 2. Any publicity in my opinion is great for the sport. Rec league/little league/ babe Ruth is where virtually all girls start.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06