Little League Rule Questions...All-Stars

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
We have an interesting issue:

Our team won the winners bracket of our district tournament and are now seeded in the championship game waiting for the final losers bracket game tonight. The tournament was originally scheduled to conclude today (Thursday) but because of two days of rainouts the Champ game is Friday and If game is Saturday. We and our likely opponent have 9 and 10 select players respectively attending our NSA state championship this weekend (games on Friday) so neither of us will be able to field a team for either game. What happens now (assume the DA refuses to move the games to Mon/Tues)?

Our team won the winners bracket of our district tournament and are now seeded in the championship game waiting for the final losers bracket game tonight. The tournament was originally scheduled to conclude today (Thursday) but because of two days of rainouts the Champ game is Friday and If game is Saturday. We and our likely opponent have 9 and 10 select players respectively attending our NSA state championship this weekend (games on Friday) so neither of us will be able to field a team for either game. What happens now (assume the DA refuses to move the games to Mon/Tues)?

Best case scenario LL understands reschedules and everyone is happy.

If you have to win LL to move on not sure if you both forfeit they might take the 3rd place team?

There are just way too many variables right now, just need your league commish to talk to whoever makes the decisions, probably a case by case thing

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
I think by the rules of LL you are not allowed to be playing for another team or playing in another org. During all stars.So good luck with the game getting moved.

Jan 20, 2010
I think by the rules of LL you are not allowed to be playing for another team or playing in another org. During all stars.So good luck with the game getting moved.

You are...they changed that rule several years ago. You just can play for another LL program (my daughter wanted to play LL summer baseball during all-stars when she was 9 and it wasn't allowed).

Jan 25, 2011
Iam not even sure you can play for another LL in less you played at least 12 regular season games with that team.LL can grant a waiver if the reasons are good enough,the waivers are hard to get.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
All the well laid plans of mice and men.....

Perhaps officials will flip a coin. I bet this isn't the first time your problem has happened, so I think you will find out so.

This is why LL only allowed kids to play for one organization, way back when. Then, parents started yelling "You can't tell me what to do, with my kid." I always feel somewhat sorry for the little All Star teams that crop up and think that they can win it all. The furthest one of my sons ever got in the LL trn. they practiced together a complete year before All Stars was ever picked.

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL

I can only assume they wouldnt take the third place team so it will be rescheduled or your district doesnt take a team to the next level. If your the 11-12 age bracket it may be tough to get that rescheudled that age neds to move right along because of the world series date.

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
You are...they changed that rule several years ago. You just can play for another LL program (my daughter wanted to play LL summer baseball during all-stars when she was 9 and it wasn't allowed).

They do let you play for other org's now however there are some funny pitching rules. I think LL rules still apply to pitchers.. So if she throws on Sunday at a tourney (which LL calls a special game) she cant throw on Monday in a LL game.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
They do let you play for other org's now however there are some funny pitching rules. I think LL rules still apply to pitchers.. So if she throws on Sunday at a tourney (which LL calls a special game) she cant throw on Monday in a LL game.

Yes, they can play in "other programs" ( page T-4), but from that point on LL ignores the other programs. The pitching rules only apply to LL games.

All-Star players may also participate in other LL games outside of the "International Tournament" i.e: regular games if the schedule goes beyond June 15th, or "Special Games ( i.e: local LL sanctioned tournaments), HOWEVER, if they are on the All-Star team, they may not pitch (at all) in those other games of they are pitching in All-Stars ( page T-13)

As to the OP, it's a very interesting scenario. The district cannot send a third place team, or do a coin toss, without approval from the regional office, as LL has a "must play to advance" rule. LL generally frowns heavily on forfeits, and insists that districts do everything they can to get a game played. But as soupy says, there's a bigger scheduling picture, with firm dates leading up to the LLWS that sectional, states and regionals must start by.

I would look and see when your sectionals are scheduled to start, and hopefully there's any room between the weekend and that date to get your game in. I'm sure your DA wants to send a team to the sectionals

May 13, 2012
while I appreicate the skills and talent I have seen and envious of their skills and coaching of many tb teams, why would LL care about NSA or any other org. the team announced and picked an all-star team so they should play all stars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1