Little League Question - need some direction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In the LL rulebook, under Regulations, Article V-Selection of Players, par. a:
" The selection of players for the various teams within a league shall be in compliance with the Little League Draft Selection System as detailed in the Operating Manual"

Does anyone know where I could find this "Draft Selection System" or the "Operating Manual"? I've looked on their website and have been unable to find it. Doesn't mean it's not there, I just couldn't find it.

We have held tryouts and will be holding the Draft in the coming week. There are several unusual circumstances and a lot of references to regulations that no one involved has any first-hand knowledge of, but every one insists that some are hard-and-fast rules while others are not- depending on the benefit to their team.

It's kind of like that movie the "Wedding Crashers" where they had all these 'rules" that they made up.

thanks!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Every draft I have participated in has been Local rules, both softball and baseball. The rules change every year and are very political.

I searched on the web and saw:
“Draft Rules For Little League Players Are The Responsibility Of The Local Chapters”

Does not mean it is right but that has been my experience.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Does the president of your league know the guidelines? If not, there should be a district guy, over him. I wouldn't hesitate to call the regional office (I think that mine used to be in Indianapolis) and ask.

At least you have a rule book. Those are hard to get, too.

Jul 28, 2008
Your league's operating manual should have which draft method your league is using clearly spelled out. It's part of the requirements by LL Williamsport. This should be available to you upon request. I don't have my books anymore, but the President, VP and player agents should all have a copy of these.

If you run into trouble, contact your district office.

Another great resource is a Yahoo group for Little League umpires. It's located at llumpires : Little League Umpires .

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks I'll go up the chain of command and see what I can find out.

Amy- Re: the rule book; Last year at the meeting where they were handed out, I saw the age director give one to a guy who wasn't with any team, but he told me there were a limited number and I would have to share with the manager. After I rippped him a new one he gave me a copy.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
My local LL board was useless (no surprise there!) so I just called our Regional HQ. They were extremely helpful. answered all my questions and essentially gave me the firepower to put the kybosh on the Hijinks planned by one set of coaches.

Restores my faith in humanity...:cool:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm guessing that they said that the "rear't coaches daughter automatically being on the team" rule was only valid for 1 rear't coach, not 10 rear't coaches. Thusly, the master plan of the evil rival team to make the 10 best players' fathers rear't coaches was nipped in the bud and the draft proceeded equitably for all.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
GM is close...
The situation was that one team has 2 new guys coaching who were going as "co-managers" which would then put their (1st round pick) daughters at 4th and 5th picks. They have a 3rd coach and expected to get his DD later in the draft too. they got the team with the first pick and intended to maximize their 1st picks. There are also twins in the draft who are tops on everyone's list. they expected to pick one and then get the sister in later rounds. Our LL board was agreeing....

Regional HQ clarified the following:

1- there is no such thing as co-managers. Little League will not accept a team with 2 managers listed. it is against the rules. each team will have one manager and may have up to two add'l coaches.
2 - For non-manager coaches kids to be "frozen", the coaches must fulfill both of the following conditions:
- they have to have coached 2 years previously at any level of LL
- They must be returning to the same team they coached last year.
Therefore, new coaches do not have their DD's place guaranteed just because they are a coach. they must pick their daughter or another team can. (this happened to us last year. I was a 1st year coach and another team wanted my DD. If we didn't pick her first, they would take her.)
3 - In the case of the twin sisters, if the sister isn't picked in the following round, she is fair game for anyone.

we had our draft last night. the" head of softball" assured us that there were no" back room dealings" but because these two guys had agreed to share the role of age director for the minors (which they were magically appointed to because no one else stepped forward for the unadvertised opening), "The Board" made the decision to allow them to both be managers and get their daughters later in the draft. Of course they made this unilateral decision behind closed doors and told no one who would be affected. After about 45 minutes of "heated discussion" we let them have their 1st pick(s) and their 3 DDs and all in all it ran pretty smoothly after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1