Line Drive Nation ??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Alright..everybody take a breath :p. MikeP, I don't think rdbass was disparaging you in any way. On the contrary it seemed to me he was just letting you know not too expect too much with an 8 year old. As I said before, I really think at that age a lot of times trying to tell them to do things is difficult and I believe what rdbass was trying to say was to just keep working with her. The more reps she gets the better she will be at learning how her body works. If you can her to get the barrel
on a majority pitched balls at her age that is half the battle. As she gets older you can tweak some things..he gave me the same advice last month after a few exasperated posts by me about what I thought was slow progress. Put the camera down for now, work with her a lot the next few months and then take some more videos. I bet you will see some improvement....

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I don’t care who it is, if I can’t respond in the same manner as someone addresses me then I’ll go elsewhere. I couldn’t care less if my dd plays at a higher level, I just asked for advice on what to work with her on because we do have plenty of hours,days, years to work and I would rather not work on the wrong things. She will ultimately decide if she keeps playing in the future, not me. How are you so sure I don't know what I’m talking about? Because I don’t have a dd playing college ball? If that’s the yardstick by which you measure others then I believe you are mistaken. My priorities are to have fun while she still wants to play and give everything I can to help her succeed. I have plenty of other hobbies that I have gladly put aside for now so that I can be a part of her softball journey for as long as it lasts. There was no hand that was feeding me in regards to rdbass. I simply asked for some advice, got some good replies from others, posted some back ground and then got a reply from him that rehashed what others told me to do but acts like I’m an idiot. Honestly, at what age should we work on her swing issues? Shouldn’t I try and correct things before they become ingrained in her swing. I really am aware that she’s young and has plenty of time to figure it out. Maybe it seems like too much at this age but we play some teams that practice nonstop, year round and have their own indoor facility. We will never be nor aspire to be that dedicated at 8, she plays other sports. 8u has become serious business in the last 3-4 years around here.Thanks for your input.

Your welcome. Just as a side note, No, this entire site does not dedicate itself to the players or parents only aspiring to get their DD to play college ball. We have many Rec coaches, MS coaches. HS coaches and even some very good college coaches (yes at the Major D1 levels) that will drop in from time to time and share not only their opinions, but what they expect from various aspects of the game and their perspective recruits. It's a matter of perspective and all viewpoints are welcome as long as they are constructive and more importantly, instructive.

As for yourself and whether or not you are knowledgeable as to hitting, it's quite obvious you aren't or you wouldn't be on here asking the questions you are asking. So let the rest of it slide, take the advice that's given and move on....or not.

Let me tell you a little secret.... Rec parents think rec ball is the end-all-be-all at whatever age group their daughter is playing at that time. Very few understand the commitment and how much better the Travel Ball players are at the very same age because they practice year round and have their own indoor facility. They've never experienced it. The same is true of TB parents that play B level TB and GOLD/ELITE Showcase teams because of not only the same type of facilities, but usually, but not always, the superior coaching. The same is true of any 23U mixed team versus a P5 team that perennially shows up in the College WCWS. The same is true of any P5 team versus an NPF team. The point is, there's always someone better at any level of play. Even at the same level of play, there's always someone better. It's a matter of perspective.

How small have you limited your little universe? In other words, think of it this way. If your live in a heavy Travel Ball Team Area and your Daughter only played rec ball until the age of 12U, What do you think her chances are of playing High School Varsity Softball going against those same girls that have played year round from 10U on a TB Team through HS and will probably move on to playing in college?

Here's the only answer you need. If you're so competitive that you think your DD can't hang with what is considered, in most parts of the country, a Travel Ball team since they practice year round, then sign her up for one! By the same token, TB practice needs to be put before any other team practices. Otherwise, let her play rec league, have fun while doing it, and when they face these teams, get their butts kicked knowing they got beat by a much better team that practices year round while they play other sports and have fun also.

It takes hours and hours of practice to be a great hitter. If you and your DD aren't willing to put in the time by hitting 450-600 balls a week, then the results will remain the same as before. If YOU, YOURSELF aren't willing to learn what is entailed in teaching the High Level swing, the results will remain the same. So instead of seeing insult where none was meant like a majority of the snowflakes in this country, try understanding the sentiment and message behind what was said versus first taking offense.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017
Yeah, I’m a snowflake ��. You don’t know me but whatever. Pattar is one of several who already made the point before about her age and expectations just as he he did above and I accepted that as good advice. I already discovered that secret awhile ago about rec ball. Our team has been put in tournaments by our former coach last season against A level teams and it was not pretty to put it mildly. I absolutely understand what you are saying. I have tried to take the advice given but then get told she’s only 8. Is that not cause for confusion? The only real questions I ‘ve ask specifically regarding hitting was about turning the barrel properly because most of the info I previously found didn’t really address it. My initial inquiry was to critique her swing and see what others thought, and I apreciate those that took time to watch and comment. Our plan at the moment is to tryout for dedicated TB teams this fall, but she’s 8 and may change her mind.Perhaps I was too harsh in my response to rdbass as it’s Easy to imagine someone’s tone however you want in a nonverbal message. I apologize for being hotheaded.

Dec 5, 2017
I apologized in a pm to rdbass and would like to apologize here as well. After rereading his earlier message I agree that I was wrong and for that I am sorry. I welcome any and all advice and will do a better job in the future of carefully considering my words. Thanks.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, I’m a snowflake ��. You don’t know me but whatever. Pattar is one of several who already made the point before about her age and expectations just as he he did above and I accepted that as good advice. I already discovered that secret awhile ago about rec ball. Our team has been put in tournaments by our former coach last season against A level teams and it was not pretty to put it mildly. I absolutely understand what you are saying. I have tried to take the advice given but then get told she’s only 8. Is that not cause for confusion? The only real questions I ‘ve ask specifically regarding hitting was about turning the barrel properly because most of the info I previously found didn’t really address it. My initial inquiry was to critique her swing and see what others thought, and I apreciate those that took time to watch and comment. Our plan at the moment is to tryout for dedicated TB teams this fall, but she’s 8 and may change her mind.Perhaps I was too harsh in my response to rdbass as it’s Easy to imagine someone’s tone however you want in a nonverbal message. I apologize for being hotheaded.

FYI, my DD plays TB with all year round practice 3 times a week (minus a month during the holidays) and also plays basketball, takes art lessons,etc. There are plenty of hours in the week to do multiple things if you really want to.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I apologized in a pm to rdbass and would like to apologize here as well. After rereading his earlier message I agree that I was wrong and for that I am sorry. I welcome any and all advice and will do a better job in the future of carefully considering my words. Thanks.

And I apologize to you if you thought I had called you a snowflake. The inference was unintentional. I was just trying to say that, as a general rule, they react that way.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017
And I apologize to you if you thought I had called you a snowflake. The inference was unintentional. I was just trying to say that, as a general rule, they react that way.

Yeah but they would probably pm an admin, post a bunch of #yocoachismean #Iamtriggered and start an online campaign against softball ��

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Thank You...and apologies aren't needed. Like I said I been were you have been. Just helping/paying it forward as others have done for me and my DD.
Also, I think your DD has a nice swing for a younger player. Spend some time reading and studying as I have done and many others have done. There's a lot of good info out there.......but, choose wisely young Jedi.:p

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ok you want a long attention span on an 8 yr old .....ok here you go....
Fix the 'sway back'....learn to coil.
tumblr_p2iv6s5MaR1usf292o1_250.gif

Dropping her hands and a push swing...and other things.
tumblr_p2ivf59Rve1usf292o1_250.gif

I don't like to critic an 8 yr old swing, because I find that most are over 'coached' by dads who think they know. JMHO.
Most posters don't like me on this site and other sites. I'll add you to the list....
Absolutely not true!

The advice is good advice for this young lady's swing. If you look at your dd, notice how she loads over her back knee. For my dd, we wanted her to feel the load on her inner thigh and not over the back knee. One other cue I use which might or might not be good for your dd is to point the knob of the bat, deliver the barrel. IOWs, don't allow her to push swing. Those wrist have to get going. Mike, some guys here like RD, Buttermaker, et al have been through this stuff for a very long time. I have as well. My dd did ok in college doing some things like RD and Buttermaker promotes and some things they didn't support. The thing is, take your time swing the bat yourself, and have fun. She is 8. If you do this right, when she is 18, she will have had a lot of fun playing. Mine is coaching now because she can't seem to give up the game. Oh, btw, I'm an ex expert so take any advice I give for what it is worth and that isn't much.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I'm an ex expert so take any advice I give for what it is worth and that isn't much.
Another respected DFP poster worth listening to.....he's been there done that and in fact is still doing it. Hint...Hint....I'd use the search and read all of Cannonball's posts. My DD's 10yr old swing smelled...when I first joined the site. 9 years later still managing to play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi