Lillian 7 years old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I'm referring to the ABAF pattern commonly seen in young players where they pull everything back, often leaning over the outside of the rear foot, and then push everything forward together. Very often, it's a result of how they interpret ignorant coaches barking "load early". This is a swing pattern that fails to be productive pretty soon in a player's development. My point is that this young player doesn't do this, and that's a good thing. She has better building blocks already in place.

As for Cano, his shift over his rear leg looks like he's ABAF, but he pulls back into his scap as he moves forward, creating stretch prior to launch. This is not what I would consider an ABAF pattern.

How about this one?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
How about this one?

He gets FYB before whipping the barrel. Actually they both get fyb without compromising the rear leg/hip relationship (allowing the weight to transfer across the pelvis to the lead leg before whipping the barrel).

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
He gets FYB before whipping the barrel. Actually they both get fyb without compromising the rear leg/hip relationship (allowing the weight to transfer across the pelvis to the lead leg before whipping the barrel).
One w minimal ‘pull back’ if any and the other w none. 🤷🏽‍♂️

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Yea, I don't look at it from a "pull back" stand point.. Just watching to see if they let everything transfer to the lead leg before whipping the barrel..

May 24, 2013
So Cal

I have zero idea what point you're trying to make.

My comments were related to what I see as something good in the existing pattern of a very young player, and that it's significantly better (IMO) than what I see in a lot of players around the same age.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Why can't we find a way to teach hitting to beginners that doesn't foster/promote bat drag? From one perspective bat drag is a motor/skill solution that the brain/body employs to accomplish the task of hitting a base/softball as presented. If you can accept this then the cause isn't in the body (elbow, posture, etc) but in how we present the task.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Why can't we find a way to teach hitting to beginners that doesn't foster/promote bat drag? From one perspective bat drag is a motor/skill solution that the brain/body employs to accomplish the task of hitting a base/softball as presented. If you can accept this then the cause isn't in the body (elbow, posture, etc) but in how we present the task.

It’s called using the arms and the body inefficiently. Usually combined with poor weight shift.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I have zero idea what point you're trying to make.

My comments were related to what I see as something good in the existing pattern of a very young player, and that it's significantly better (IMO) than what I see in a lot of players around the same age.

the point is that a ‘pull back’ isn’t really a thing. Made famous by _______? Doesn’t matter, and the actual good loading is found earlier and momentum and leverage are what powers the swing. With a well timed sequence w the body and then eventually w the ball. If the sequence isn’t timed to itself, it won’t really matter how well a player timed the ball. That starts w getting the proximal to distal loading right from the get. Can’t stress this enough. This is what ails 99,9% of amateur players. Not drag. Drag is the result. The body must leverage first. Always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi