Lillian 7 years old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
yes that is exactly why I alerted you. I think not creating momentum is the problem w most hitters. Just like this young hitter. She is open way to early and cannot dictate when she swings. Why folks think that momentum is bad in hitting is beyond me. Especially within any other athletic endeavor it is used and praised.

it’s a shame you do not want to discuss why you think momentum is bad. When clearly this young lady has none and has drag bc of it imo.

You're really trying to drag me into a discussion I'm not interested in having. I'm also not interested in tearing apart the swing flaws of a 7yo.

I shared my observations about Lilian's early movements based on what I have seen in my time being involved with the game. That's it. If you don't agree, I don't care.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You're really trying to drag me into a discussion I'm not interested in having. I'm also not interested in tearing apart the swing flaws of a 7yo.

I shared my observations and about Lilian's early movements based on what I have seen in my time being involved with the game. That's it. If you don't agree, I don't cmare

ok ok no need to over-dramatize. BUT you brought up how you liked her ‘early’ movements. I commented on how it hinders good swings. I thought you might want to discuss why you think it’s good.. SINCE YOU SAID IT WAS GOOD.. i thought the OP could see why we both think what we think and make an educated decision on what is what and why that is to help his dd.

Nevermind.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
ok ok no need to over-dramatize. BUT you brought up how you liked her ‘early’ movements. I commented on how it hinders good swings. I thought you might want to discuss why you think it’s good.. SINCE YOU SAID IT WAS GOOD.. i thought the OP could see why we both think what we think and make an educated decision on what is what and why that is to help his dd.

Nevermind.

I have already stated why I like a specific part of this young ballplayer's swing - separation and stretch created during the forward move. Here's a pro example I like.

My only intent was to point out something positive I saw in this young ballplayer's swing.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Sure you can, teach them how to use the hands (TTB) with the arms supporting the hands. Not using the arms to try to manipulate the bat.

Teach them how and what to to load, sit and how to use the back leg.

I see this little girl going down the same path as most other beginner/youth hitters. She drags the bat and after it's ingrained there will be a long process of reversing the bad habits she is learning now. Which is what makes me ask the question: isn't there a better way to teach hitting that doesn't promote/foster bat drag?

I have a background in golf and I don't believe there is a swing flaw that equates to bat drag, there is no such thing as 'club drag'. In some ways the swings are similar, you train by hitting balls off a 'tee' with an implement. The task that you give an athlete is a major determinate in the motor pattern that will they will employ to accomplish the goal. To me this girl's bat is too heavy and the tee placement is too high, a classic youth/beginner practice setup. In golf the implement is lighter and the ball placement is much lower, so the swing pattern that develops will be different. What would happen if you set up a very low tee, just above the knee, and had her hit wiffle balls with a wiffle ball bat?

Oct 2, 2017
My 7 year old (LA 6) has a pretty good swing for her age and size. She is a right throw, and left batter. I switched her hands hitting when she was 5. She is small and fast, 3'10" and 45 pounds. I'm guessing she is always going to be on the small side, her mother is too. I have been working with her some trying to get her to load, and keeping her hands up. I know she is only 7, but she loves the game an likes to practice so we might as well make it productive. We were playing around out in the garage earlier and I took a few videos, figured I would post and see if anyone has any obvious stuff to work on. Here she is in her unicorn and croc glory lol

Love the her outfit and the smile and little head bobble!

If there is one piece of advice that you can try now to maybe help her start using her body to swing instead of the just arms and hands. Have her rest the bat on her neck and swing from there. For young players its a good way to introduce using the body to swing. Also lighter bat, helps a lot. No need to rush the size and weight.

Apr 11, 2016
My daughter is a righty who bats left (her choice since she was 3.) My daughter is small too. She's only 5'1" and just turned 14. Being a lefty batter definitely has its perks, she can soft slap, hard slap, drag bunt, chop slap, and hit line drives. Fun stuff to confuse her opponents b/c they have no idea what she'd do next.

To keep it simple for her at this age, just make sure she understands how to use her hips. Hips rotation is what drives most of her power. Her first batting coach taught her that with a short bat. We picked one up from Dicks Sporting good and still use it from time to time. This allows her to learn hip rotation without a huge bat, plus she has to train with one hand at a time so it helps with not dropping her bat. You can google tons of great drills with it.

Then you can set up an empty milk jug or a large beach ball on the tee and let her hit away. It's more fun than hitting softballs.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I see this little girl going down the same path as most other beginner/youth hitters. She drags the bat and after it's ingrained there will be a long process of reversing the bad habits she is learning now. Which is what makes me ask the question: isn't there a better way to teach hitting that doesn't promote/foster bat drag?

I have a background in golf and I don't believe there is a swing flaw that equates to bat drag, there is no such thing as 'club drag'. In some ways the swings are similar, you train by hitting balls off a 'tee' with an implement. The task that you give an athlete is a major determinate in the motor pattern that will they will employ to accomplish the goal. To me this girl's bat is too heavy and the tee placement is too high, a classic youth/beginner practice setup. In golf the implement is lighter and the ball placement is much lower, so the swing pattern that develops will be different. What would happen if you set up a very low tee, just above the knee, and had her hit wiffle balls with a wiffle ball bat?

1634318747864.gif

Nice post. This reason is why drag is a prerequisite for youth hitting. The more rotation is over-taught. The more drag you’ll have. Much like golf. Use your hands to the release position. Golf has that built in from the start bc the ball isn’t moving.

1634319168282.gif

now it’s getting interesting. Let’s see where this goes..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802