Lillian 7 years old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Those are symptoms and not very helpful. You can't really tell a nine year old to use their body and arms more efficiently and to shift their weight better.

weight shift is your answer. Not the application, but the timing of it. Folks think the application is wrong so they incorporate ‘stay back’ or ‘pull back’ which leads to timing issues and drag. Body drag or bat drag. It’s all the same. The bat is late.

leverage the middle/shift first. It’s the slowest. It enables the hips to tilt the body and shift wo losing balance. It puts you on time for the FASTball. Then you work off that. The other breaking pitches are reconciled through past experience and anticipation.

if you can’t consistently square up fastballs. You won’t be consistent.

look how early the middle moves/shifts in these examples.

1634039542713.gif

1634039692066.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Those are symptoms and not very helpful. You can't really tell a nine year old to use their body and arms more efficiently and to shift their weight better.

Sure you can, teach them how to use the hands (TTB) with the arms supporting the hands. Not using the arms to try to manipulate the bat.

Teach them how and what to to load, sit and how to use the back leg.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

I will entertain your ‘quackery’ for this last time. Drag is when the body turns before the bat does. What you’re seeing is lag. You can’t drag something if it’s not being drug anywhere. Make sense? That’s why still pics do so much harm when analyzing swings. Her bat is synced to her turn. How could she be dragging if that is the case?

the same could be said when the elbow is behind.. isn’t that a push? LOL. As long as the turn and bat are synced you’re good. That goes for dragging and pushing. It’s more of a sync/sequence thing than a position thing. It’s about getting the middle to its spot early, really early.

Jennings is doing this, what you call ‘quackery’.

1634046991677.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Her bat head is still behind her head. She lost all of her free leverage (requires no muscles). She is now forced to drag the bat around.

she’s pulling the bat forward that’s why it’s flatter. Centripetal force. She planes it deep, she needed to for that location and velocity. 100 mph equivalent in baseball. And she anticipated that pitch! The hands take a straight line towards the location w the bat following. She gains leverage of the bat through wrist flexion. Or in laymen’s.. she lagged it. The arms don’t create the most speed for the barrel, the wrists do.

1634051374102.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
the point is that a ‘pull back’ isn’t really a thing. Made famous by _______? Doesn’t matter, and the actual good loading is found earlier and momentum and leverage are what powers the swing. With a well timed sequence w the body and then eventually w the ball. If the sequence isn’t timed to itself, it won’t really matter how well a player timed the ball. That starts w getting the proximal to distal loading right from the get. Can’t stress this enough. This is what ails 99,9% of amateur players. Not drag. Drag is the result. The body must leverage first. Always.

We have different views of the swing. I believe that pullback, creating stretch, and using the muscles of the back are critical parts of a good swing. IMO, a momentum-based swing is a recipe for timing struggles as pitching gets better. I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole with you debating this.

As I said from the start, I like what I see in the early moves of the young hitter that is the subject of this thread.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We have different views of the swing. I believe that pullback, creating stretch, and using the muscles of the back are critical parts of a good swing. IMO, a momentum-based swing is a recipe for timing struggles as pitching gets better. I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole with you debating this.

As I said from the start, I like what I see in the early moves of the young hitter that is the subject of this thread.

yes that is exactly why I alerted you. I think not creating momentum is the problem w most hitters. Just like this young hitter. She is open way to early and cannot dictate when she swings. Why folks think that momentum is bad in hitting is beyond me. Especially within any other athletic endeavor it is used and praised.

it’s a shame you do not want to discuss why you think momentum is bad. When clearly this young lady has none and has drag bc of it imo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812