Lets see one of yours better than this one RICH!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Mann, the question was fairly basic.

Would this represent an example of what you teach as how to swing at an inside pitch?

I view this as mechanically very different than what is shown here ....

If you are truly looking for clarification of the question, then you have it. If you need to dodge the question, then that's okay too.

Dodge? wow. are you not happy with where she is "releasing" with the outfront pitch? As you know, i teach the same swing for all locations, but all take "educated hands, because of the articulations that are involved with pitch locations, such as low inside would take some more barrel dump. I have/had some clips of Manny trying different barrel angles, which i took in as "educating his hands". I teach more turn on inside, and have made NO clips of my barrel load included with drills yet.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
What do you think Miggy is doing:
MiggyHandDirection2.gif

That gets him 'loaded' into this position:
MiggyHandDirection.gif

To have these different swings at different locations.

Do you think Miggy just launches and goes find the ball.
Rampage, a littel kitchen analogy.
Miggy is reaching for the stemware - in the overhead cabinet on the right. He's reaching for the pasta pot - in the cabinet under the stove - on the left. Said another way, the hand direction is determined first. It has to be, otherwise the body can't get into position to barrel up properly.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
When you hear "stay inside the baseball/softball", it is 100% about knowing direction first. It is 100% about hitting the pitch at 90 degree angles to where it's thrown. You cannot/should not launch/release the barrel and expect to then get the hands inside the ball. When you unload the barrel right away, you will lose the barrel. When you lose the barrel, the hands will seek support. When the hands seek support, the rear elbow will paste itself to the body/rib cage.

Well documented and shared with both Tewks and Pronk.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
To me this is Direct/direction (eyes)as Miggy 'loads':
MiggyHandDirection2.gif

Then Miggy 'Launches' (my launch) and fine tunes his directs:
MiggyHandDirection.gif

I believe in a corner....
And I have shown my work so stop lying (Happy Gilmore Drill) that you didn't like. DD rushed and needed to use her back.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The entire process from when the pitch is thrown until contact is approximately 400 milliseconds or 4/10 of a second. As soon as the ball leaves the pitcher's hand, the hitter is looking for it and immediately starting to determine speed, direction, and trajectory. He then continues to read the pitch until the ball is approximately 20 feet from home plate. At that point the impulse to swing must occur. While the initial reading of the pitch is occurring, is the hitter doing anything else? Is he not utilizing this initial information in order to prepare his body and hands to swing at the ball? Why wouldn't he? If the hitter is able to gain any information in that short window, it seems reasonable to me that the brain will utilize that information to it's advantage (Direct-Load). Then when the swing begins, hand/eye coordination gives us a bit of a head start.

This does not mean that direction is 100% determined at that point in time. The eyes will continue to ready the pitch and the body and hands will make minor adjustments -- including the potential decision to abort the swing.

2pynbm1.jpg

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
rd, you do realize that you are taking criticism - on your DD's swing - from a nobody that you know more than? Right?

The old 2006 message boards show how little he knew then, and how nothing has changed. He is O'Leary with a bigger mouth. Both are out there to turn a dollar on something they know nothing about.

btw, this is the way he operates. They intentionally start a buzz. As the responses come in, the shadowing members from that site begin to PM members here, who they feel they can recruit as new members. I was recruited by Pronk back in the day. How ironic! I helped Pronk and Steven by getting them to DROP the Launch and Spend mechanics. We worked on freeing up the rear elbow so that it didn't stall and getting to full OUT FRONT extension. That required a overhaul of what he was doing UPSTREAM. That is a fact! I have the PMs to prove it.

More history:
SteveE.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole