Lets see one of yours better than this one RICH!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Would this be what you advocate for an inside pitch?

The two swings look very different mechanically. Are you advocating a completely different swing for 'outside' versus 'inside' pitches?

Am i understanding that you would like to not lower the barrel so soon, fight to keep the barrel up and hands loaded?
The demonstration by bustos and drill i use to teach turning more for inside pitches, IS lacking the barrel load, so it might look not right for some with OCD, but the hand load/ barrel load instruction cost extra.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Am i understanding that you would like to not lower the barrel so soon, fight to keep the barrel up and hands loaded?
The demonstration by bustos and drill i use to teach turning more for inside pitches, IS lacking the barrel load, so it might look not right for some with OCD, but the hand load/ barrel load instruction cost extra.

Mann, the question was fairly basic.

Would this represent an example of what you teach as how to swing at an inside pitch?

I do not mind this clip of Bustos.

sndu35.gif

Hands above ball, hands inside ball, keep hands loaded.

I view this as mechanically very different than what is shown here ....

Rich promotes bopping the catcher in the head with the bat barrel. I think they say go...right now.

When I say turn the corner before release, it depends on pitch location.
Outside pitch, you release early, you stop rotation where your belly button is facing your target, thrust lower back, leg, knee and sweet part of bat towards your target.
Something like this....

If you are truly looking for clarification of the question, then you have it. If you need to dodge the question, then that's okay too.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes, the torque/pressure felt in his hands - as the handle is getting to the inside - is the barrel loading and then the release is the unload/launching of the barrel thru the ball.

The top hand/wrist is becoming highly loaded here.

IMO, a hitter's ability to control the timing of these things is part of their "fine tuning". An important aspect of "educated hands".

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Mann, the question was fairly basic.

Would this represent an example of what you teach as how to swing at an inside pitch?

I view this as mechanically very different than what is shown here ....

If you are truly looking for clarification of the question, then you have it. If you need to dodge the question, then that's okay too.

On the inside pitch you carry the load longer. And of coarse it is not the same, its just a demo of turning more, and lining up her swing.

When do you fire your hands fiveframe?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
On the inside pitch you carry the load longer. And of coarse it is not the same, its just a demo of turning more, and lining up her swing.

When do you fire your hands fiveframe?

I don't teach a different swing for an 'inside' versus 'outside' pitch.

Do you teach a different swing for each portion of the zone? How many swings are you teaching your hitters? Two? Four? Ten?

Thought I answered your question previously. My top hand unhinges into impact as a result of energy transfer.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
In my opinion you can not direct first and call that RIGHT NOW!

I see launch and then direct! It seems that most don't agree , but that's ok!

I feel you cant have it both ways with direct/launch. If you direct first you are DIRECTING FIRST...

You cant have direct/GO NOW. IMO. You are directing first which IMO is a bleed of power! This argument is very hard to prove.

Launch NOW THEN DIRECT to me is RIGHT NOW!

What do you think Miggy is doing:
MiggyHandDirection2.gif

That gets him 'loaded' into this position:
MiggyHandDirection.gif

To have these different swings at different locations.

Do you think Miggy just launches and goes find the ball.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
In my opinion you can not direct first and call that RIGHT NOW!

I see launch and then direct! It seems that most don't agree , but that's ok!

I feel you cant have it both ways with direct/launch. If you direct first you are DIRECTING FIRST...

You cant have direct/GO NOW. IMO. You are directing first which IMO is a bleed of power! This argument is very hard to prove.

Launch NOW THEN DIRECT to me is RIGHT NOW!

Rampage, you do know this is the position of your arch-nemesis, right? :)

Without being religious about it I tend to agree with your take on "Right Now!!"

To me, the difference is similar to the difference between SHIFT *then* SWING vs SHIFT *and* SWING, which is used on this site in a different context.

I like the idea of LAUNCH *and* DIRECT, ie, the "educated and live" hands after the RIGHT NOW launch will work to find the ball. Sometimes the arms will also work after launch to the find the ball, for instance, they'll "let out" to find a change-up.

I actually don't think the two "sides" on this topic are as far off as they contend at times. I don't think you can direct effectively without a right-now launch, nor can you launch without some sense of direction.

I think RDBASS's Miggy pics are actually a good example of AND....trying to figure out what happens and which comes first in a millisecond by watching slow-speed video doesn't seem useful to me nor can it serve to instruct a hitter trying to win a battle in the batters box.

Added: my real-world cue would be: launch "right now" -- with a further cue: strong top hand working under -- and then *trust* that your hands will find the ball. TRUST being the key phrase, a trust that is gained through repetition and cage work.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I think he is first and foremost launching.

On a arching slow pitch softball a hitter can just 'launch' away:
111215%20-%20Me%20mashing%20Rampage.gif

But in real baseball and softball a hitter better get the hands loaded into a position to launch their swing.
MiggyHandDirection.gif

you do know this is the position of your arch-nemesis, right
Sounds like an 'evil villian'....
1250631314-cartman-wow-sunder.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member