Lessons in sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Oh, I wasn't mistaken. At age 25, Burfict still gets the "idiot kid" pass. His selfish style of play on that final drive hurt his team, but it was Jones' behavior during the ensuing on-field gathering that was the kill shot. In the case of Vontaze Burfict, he's got a long-standing reputation for hitting HARD, and he's definitely been guilty of dirty play during his career, but he doesn't have nearly the volume of off-field baggage that Jones does, baggage that more than justifies the amount of scrutiny he receives.

Jones feels that he was justified in going after the Steeler coach, Joey Porter, because Porter "should not have been out there". Well, it's Jones' job to self-regulate, but he does not get paid to officiate the game. If he stays in his lane and gets himself (and Burfict, perhaps) away from the officials so that they can discuss whatever they need to, Pittsburgh is forced to make a 50-yarder instead of that virtual chip shot.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Jones' actions, but it seems to me that the tirade ought to be directed at the head-hunting Burfict. Without that cheap shot (not his first, not even his first this season), Porter's not on the field and Jones isn't in a position to add to the idiocy.

I still haven't seen video of what Jones did other than wave his arms a lot. And I'm still wondering why the Steeler bench wasn't flagged.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
There were a LOT of flags that should've been thrown, but weren't, in addition to Porter.

For example, when Burfict picked up the ball he had intercepted, ran the length of the field and then into the tunnel, with some of his teammates. Why was that not 15 yards right there? Not sure when the refs lost control of the game, but that may have been the moment.

Aug 26, 2015
I don't disagree with your assessment of Jones' actions, but it seems to me that the tirade ought to be directed at the head-hunting Burfict. Without that cheap shot (not his first, not even his first this season), Porter's not on the field and Jones isn't in a position to add to the idiocy.

I still haven't seen video of what Jones did other than wave his arms a lot. And I'm still wondering why the Steeler bench wasn't flagged.

I read this on NFL.com last night:

"When an injury appears to be more serious, sometimes players and other staff come out on the field to check on injured player"

Other Steeler coaches were on the field and none of them were fined (or will be). Why? Brown was still on the artificial turf and clearly it looked very serious. Joey Porter is the only one who decided to troll the Bengals and get into it in the 1st place. As such, he's getting fined. Honestly, I don't think he even cares, though. I think he looks at this like the cost of advancing to the next round of the playoffs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01