Leg guards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2011
My daughter loves her Mizuno Samurais - we got an older generation for cheap on clearance, and they have interlocking plastic clips instead of the traditional metal clasps. She really likes the padding in the knees - cracked the knees in the TPX set she outgrew.

DD agrees regarding the Mizuno's. Love's her G2 Samurais but has since outgrew them. Will be getting the G3's shortly. We have since switched over to other manufacturers for the chest and helmet, but she won't stray from the Mizuno leg guards. Really likes the K pad in the knee.

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
All Star/Under Armour uses air cushions. They run the risk of popping, breaking or deflating though...

View attachment 3045

Chaz, how we doing?!?

Just needed to offer up a slight correction here....Although All-Star uses a very little bit of air in the padding, the reason the padding works better than anything else out there is the use of D30 material in their system7 line and an actual foam pad inside the air chamber that withstands a significant amount of force, rather than relying on air alone.

Definitely not saying it hasn't happened, but I'd be curious as to the frequency of people experiencing that pad popping, as I've never heard of it nor seen it. If people have seen this, let me know and I will put a call in and ask to have them look at improving it for next year's line of gear.

Having said that, your daughter should try on as many leg guards as she can and pick the one that feels the best for her. I do believe All-Star makes the best and most durable gear out there specifically engineered for women, but she should use what she is most comfortable with.

Jul 10, 2011
Going to drive an hour away this Sunday for my DD to try on some All-Star gear (as recommended by Jay from the NECC).
I'll post a review.

Apr 1, 2010
My DD has All Star System 7 shin guards; they replaced the All Star Pros that she outgrew. I think they are great. They aren't as slim and sleek as some, but I always felt her knees and legs were very well protected.

She's using a beautiful matched set of red with white trim Worth catching gear now, however. The Worth rep gave her coach a set and he sent them home with her.

Sep 14, 2009
Don't think you can go wrong with the Easton Synge again. My DD replaced hers mid season last year (outgrew them), we looked at everything out there, ended up with Easton Synge again, still loves them, same with Chest protector, my opinion is easton beats em all as far as catcher gear goes, and they make it just for the girls too.

Jan 20, 2011
The only issue I have with the fastpitch All-Star System 7 leg guards is that the longest "womens" length is 14.5". DD is 5'-7", mostly leg, and the ankle and toe guard ends just below mid-shin on her. They do make a 15.5" and 16.5" System 7 "baseball" leg guard but you pay one and a half times more than the fastpitch gear.

Ok, soap box moment, All-Star makes 4 different sized System 7 leg guards for baseball (13", 14.5", 15.5", and 16.5") but only 2 sizes for fastpitch (13" and 14.5"). Ok, I get it, I have a daughter who may be taller than most women and therefore will have to purchase the baseball gear, but why is the price for fastpitch 14.5" womens leg guards on average $25 more than the baseball 14.5" leg guards? Sometimes I feel like we are being fleeced with "fastpitch gear designed for a women's body". I understand that last sentence is off topic and for separate discussion.

Ok, off the soapbox and looking forward to a weekend filled with indoor tourneys.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I found a deal on closeoutbats... they have easton mystique catchers gear... complete set for $100 . So I bought it. Is this a junk style that wont last? Does anyone know about this style (mystique fastpitch design)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles