Leg guards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
Helmets are definitely not always universal. Wilson makes a FP-specific helmet that is significantly lighter and smaller for women. My girls both use the Wilson anti-shock helmets, and the baseball version has a much denser cage as well as being much larger in the front.

That's right. Baseball helmets have to stop a smaller diameter ball. A softball specific face cage is going to be less restrictive to vision and lighter in weight as well.

Everyone's different, but a if girl has much in the way of hips and a bust, it's not likely that baseball pattern equipment is going to fit well. JMO. Still, there's no substitute for trying on the equipment. :)

I get it. But , don't want them to look like we have had them for 100 years either :)

I have had good luck with those Mr Clean Magic Erasers that you can find in the cleaning section of the grocery store. Truth be told, the generic / dollar store brands work very well as well. Admitedly they work better on helmets and bats, but I have had some success on shin guards.
I have often wondered if a very fine sandpaper would be OK, but never had the nerve to try it.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Why would you want the shin guards to be clean and shiny? Every time I replace my DDs' shin guards, they put them on and slide around on them behind the plate to scuff them up. Catchers aren't supposed to look clean. :)

Jan 24, 2011
Why would you want the shin guards to be clean and shiny? Every time I replace my DDs' shin guards, they put them on and slide around on them behind the plate to scuff them up. Catchers aren't supposed to look clean. :)

We just prefer all of our equipment to look "clean and shiny"

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Already established my own opinion, but if you are so inclined as to clean the things...IMHO:
I would not use sandpaper, if the eraser doesn't work. I'd go to the auto products like Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, or escalate to rubbing compound.
If you want to paint them, Krylon Fusion works well on plastics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01