Left Handed Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2018
So we hardly see any left handed catchers and I was just watching a video about how there are no real reasons for it.....
So what are reasons for NOT having a lefty catch?

Mar 15, 2019
California
As a lefty dad, I have to acknowledge it's a right-handed world with around 90% of the population being righties. Lefties have to adapt to odd scissors, desks, knives, hugs, smearing while writing, etc. because we're the minority.

The game is counterclockwise and righties have a natural advantage, not just at catching, but also every infield spot except for a pitcher and first base. It is good to see softball have lefty catchers, but in baseball it's a rarity. Lefties will have to perform that much better on the field in order to get reps in non-traditional positions. Lefties also usually have a natural tailing action on their throws that could throw off the person receiving the ball if they don't follow it all the way to the glove (or hands in other sports).

My oldest son is a lefty and caught behind the plate in Little League when he was 7. When he was 8, he played 2B when he was not pitching. Just a few weeks ago (now 9 yo) he was playing SS and 2B. He can make it happen because he is athletic and it's fun to watch, but sure enough, now he's back to pitching and playing 1B.

My two older daughters (righties) also pitch and so I have turned into a lefty catcher as we do bullpens. Good part about being a lefty is that you can get some crazy good deals on quality left-handed mitts and gloves!

The advantage that lefties have, IMO, is that they have to be more cerebral as they learn the game because they will most likely be the only lefty on the team and have to "figure it out more". One only hopes that they have a lefty parent or coach that can relate and knows what to do with them. As I work with my kids and their teams, I have done so many reps right-handed as I teach them drills that I sometimes forget how to do it left-handed!

Here's a link to some lefty info for baseball: https://www.sportscasting.com/why-arent-there-any-left-handed-catchers-or-shortstops-in-baseball/

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
The simple reason is that most lefties are slightly off-kilter, (read crazy). Catchers are the smartest, most savvy, players on the field, the 'quarterbacks' of softball and baseball. As everyone knows, pitchers, especially relievers, are slightly crazy. QED: Lefties make perfect pitchers/relievers, not so much for being catchers.

(Please realize this is meant as humor and does not reflect reality of lefties at all, but I still stand by the statement that pitchers, especially relievers are slight off-kilter)

Nov 9, 2020
Daughter is a lefty catcher, the biggest difference (disadvantage) I see is taking a throw at home plate and having to tag the runner from 3rd. She usually has to set up and swipe down and across her body. The set up for throws looks a little awkward. Force plays not a problem of course.

Jan 22, 2011
As a lefty, i always say lefty's are the only ones in their right mind. I really wanted my DD to be a catcher, but because she is a lefty with a cannon for an arm, she had to pitch for me. Then play right field with the cannon. She has rarely caught since 2nd year 10u. She still does on ocassion, and still does bullpen about once a week during HS season as a catcher. She is a very good receiver, but has lost all muscle memory to block.

My favorite story is 2014 New England Catcher's Camp. Jay goes into an at least 10 minute discussion on how a right handed catcher should field a bunt. He then asks are there any questions. My DD raises her hand asks how she field it as a lefty. Jay says "run straight at ball and throw it to first."

May 10, 2021
Two downsides are:

1. The tag play at the plate; glove hand has to reach across body for the tag. Really tricky set-up on a throw from RF.
2. Catcher throwing to 3b on a steal- that throwing lane is reduced IF its a right handed batter.

IDK if these are a deal breaker; maybe at a high level. I will take a agile cat like LH catcher with a rifle anytime and live with the two scenarios.

What is the highest level LH catcher you have seen? Are there any D1 catchers out there?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Two downsides are:

1. The tag play at the plate; glove hand has to reach across body for the tag. Really tricky set-up on a throw from RF.
2. Catcher throwing to 3b on a steal- that throwing lane is reduced IF its a right handed batter.

IDK if these are a deal breaker; maybe at a high level. I will take a agile cat like LH catcher with a rifle anytime and live with the two scenarios.

What is the highest level LH catcher you have seen? Are there any D1 catchers out there?
Take a glance thru other lefty catcher threads here on dfp there is a list of top notch D1 & other lefty catchers!
*Bumped older thread
~Got the no lefty catcher speach

Last edited:
May 10, 2021
Take a glance thru other lefty catcher threads here on dfp there is a list of top notch D1 & other lefty catchers!
*Bumped older thread
~Got the no lefty catcher speach
Thanks for the tip on the thread. My DD plays 13U and I umpire HS and USSSA. I have not seen a lefty catcher in quite some time.

Bottom line is I need to get out more! I will help educate others!

May 29, 2019
There are definitely more lefty catchers in softball than there are in baseball. And honestly, I think the reason there aren't more in softball is simply because lefties are such a small subset of the general population.

My DD has played with two exceptional lefty catchers since 14U. Both are D1 commits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802