Leaving the base early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2021
Seems pitching gets discussed here daily in regards to what is legal and not legal. Is the leaving early rule overlooked the majority of the time now ? I see this more and more and it's usually by the ones who need it the least.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
Agree that it is seldom called. First question PapaBear, how many umpires working the game? If it is fewer than 3, than with a runner on 1B is very hard to see to call the infraction. I would say it is not being intentionally overlooked, but it is being prioritized lower in the scheme of things umpires can/are looking at.

Jun 27, 2021
Agree that it is seldom called. First question PapaBear, how many umpires working the game? If it is fewer than 3, than with a runner on 1B is very hard to see to call the infraction. I would say it is not being intentionally overlooked, but it is being prioritized lower in the scheme of things umpires can/are looking at.
Typically 2 in high school/travel games unless championship. If it’s brought to the attention by a coach just like leaping etc. than it needs to be addressed monitored and called. Doesn’t help the runner if it’s not called and puts the middle infielder/catcher at a disadvantage.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Even if it is brought to the umpires' attention, with a runner on 1B only, think about where the BU is, between 1b and 2b. If the infraction is very close, the the BU does not have the P and BR lined up, the BU is still looking for IPs, checked swings, etc. Even top-level umpires have a limited number of things they can see at one time and if they don't know for CERTAIN that a runner left early, they can't call it.

Jun 27, 2021
So, we can pick and choose which rules to enforce. When it comes to leaping/crow hop etc it’s all about doing it the right way and developing kids at young age to do it right. But having a kid leave early is overlooked as no big deal. Leaving early puts a disadvantage to the catcher making the play or the middle infielder who now has to make a bang bang best case.

Mar 10, 2020
So, we can pick and choose which rules to enforce. When it comes to leaping/crow hop etc it’s all about doing it the right way and developing kids at young age to do it right. But having a kid leave early is overlooked as no big deal. Leaving early puts a disadvantage to the catcher making the play or the middle infielder who now has to make a bang bang best case.
See it as people pick and choose what they want to complain about.

Jul 22, 2015
As @EdLovrich said, it's not as easy to see as you might think when it is close at all due to everything else you also have to watch. Add to that, the girls who have one foot behind the base and use a rocker start and it's even harder. Sometimes you really need to see it more than once to be sure, and if they are smart they don't leave early more than once. Another factor that makes it difficult for the umpire is that if you hesitate to think about it at all it's pretty much too late to call it without appearing to have waited on the outcome of the play to make your call. It's supposed to be an immediate dead ball and if you don't call it that way it looks like you weren't sure of your call. It's a tough penalty to erase a baserunner, so I have to be certain she left early to call it. I DO call it, but I'll admit if I had instant replay for each runner I'd probably get 2 or 3 more per game in a high level game.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
As @EdLovrich said, it's not as easy to see as you might think when it is close at all due to everything else you also have to watch. Add to that, the girls who have one foot behind the base and use a rocker start and it's even harder. Sometimes you really need to see it more than once to be sure, and if they are smart they don't leave early more than once. Another factor that makes it difficult for the umpire is that if you hesitate to think about it at all it's pretty much too late to call it without appearing to have waited on the outcome of the play to make your call. It's supposed to be an immediate dead ball and if you don't call it that way it looks like you weren't sure of your call. It's a tough penalty to erase a baserunner, so I have to be certain she left early to call it. I DO call it, but I'll admit if I had instant replay for each runner I'd probably get 2 or 3 more per game in a high level game.

Just to clarify, NCAA softball leaving early is no longer an immediate dead ball. It is now an delayed dead ball, and the defense gets to choose the result of the play or the runner can be declared out.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just to clarify, NCAA softball leaving early is no longer an immediate dead ball. It is now an delayed dead ball, and the defense gets to choose the result of the play or the runner can be declared out.
That is amazingly weird to have choices on the outcome of a play/broken rule.

( oddly that mirrors the discussion brought up about the mercy rule and having an option even if losing)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32