Leaping? Or replanting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023

One of the coaches that I am following on Instagram. I like his teaching style. Recently, He is teaching leaping. I understand since the rule changes, we need to find a way to take advantage. But still, I am confused. She step forward off the mound. Isn't it illegal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snapshot from the video shows pitcher landing outside of the pitching Lane.
That is illegal.

Screenshot_20240129-080843_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023
This is definitely a replant and should have no place in the women's game. It came into the men's game in the 90's and it turned into a circus show and part of the decline you see today in the men's game. The art of pitching has been lost and there is no longer a premium on location and movement but mostly velocity. Which leads to swing and miss or swing and hit it a mile. Most good men's games are decided by HR's which after awhile become boring to watch. The essences of fastpitch/softball is now lost in the men's game and if this type of pitching carry's over it will do the same to the women's game. There are already to many HR's at the top NCAA D1 level, check it out - stats don't lie. Balls are juiced and they need to be dummied down so more balls stay in the park for exciting doubles and triples but that's another topic that needs to be addressed.

Aug 30, 2015
I didn't see anyone update this so I'll do it: NFHS, leaping is now allowed in 2024. However.....

They've confused the issue even more trying to define it.
1. They've removed the definition of "crow hop" from the rules entirely but added a definition of "replant". So now, there are no longer "crow hops", only "replants".

2. Here is their attempt at defining a replant from a training module (NOT in the rule set).
Replant Definition NFHS.png

First 2 bullet points are fine.

Anyone wanna explain the 3rd bullet point in English? Any umpire want to try and decipher?

This is one of the reasons why there is no consistency amongst my umpire brethren.

Aug 30, 2015
Ok. Just saw this has already been posted and discussed over on another thread....

ETA: Now that I've caught up on DFP, this has already been discussed numerous times including something about skid marks and sticky buns.

My bad.

As you were.....

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
This is definitely a replant and should have no place in the women's game. It came into the men's game in the 90's and it turned into a circus show and part of the decline you see today in the men's game. The art of pitching has been lost and there is no longer a premium on location and movement but mostly velocity. Which leads to swing and miss or swing and hit it a mile. Most good men's games are decided by HR's which after awhile become boring to watch. The essences of fastpitch/softball is now lost in the men's game and if this type of pitching carry's over it will do the same to the women's game. There are already to many HR's at the top NCAA D1 level, check it out - stats don't lie. Balls are juiced and they need to be dummied down so more balls stay in the park for exciting doubles and triples but that's another topic that needs to be addressed.
Interesting take(s). Personally, I only agree with some of what you wrote. But that's what makes opinions fun.

If you were a pitcher in the 1990's, then I'm guessing we know a lot of the same people. Maybe we even know each other!??!!!?? I'd be curious where you're from and the level you played at. No, not trying to compare our resume's or histories but, it may help me understand where you get some of your opinions and takes. Feel free to DM me if you want.

Sep 13, 2021
FWIW, my daughter's team hasn't seen a single "replanter" or "leaper" yet this year in the 14u friendlies/showcases/tournaments we've played in SoCal. Based on this anecdotal info, it doesn't seem like any of the PCs with the larger student bases in the area (other than the Power Mechanics coaches) are teaching anything different than they have in the past, at least right now.

May 13, 2021
It is impossible for your back foot to land before the front and you not push again with your back foot. The girl in the video has to push with her back leg or she would fall to the ground. I don't really care what the rules are, I just hate the spineless jerkwads that come up with stuff like this. The way this is explained as long as they start legally there will be almost no way for someone to pitch a ball, and get called for an illegal pitch. I would say the Power Mechanics guy was right all along.

Aug 21, 2008
I don't recall if I wrote this before and I'm not about to go through 15 pages to find out. Full disclosure, I have not watched this video yet... I will do it later.

What loses me in this discussion or debate is the term "2nd push". What does that even mean? Even the most egregious crow hopper in men's fastpitch does not do a "2nd push". They jump, land, then throw the ball. For someone to do a "2nd push" is hard to comprehend.

Maybe the confusion is the drag marks the crow hopper still makes during the pitch? Lets use me as an example. I was forced, in a very ugly way, to learn both methods of pitching. I initially learned how to pitch the way the rules are now, "Don't throw overhand" is basically the only rule that the men care about. But when I'd play internationally, I had to put 2 feet on the rubber and wasn't allowed the big jump. Guys would still jump in those international events, especially if the USA was playing New Zealand, Australia, Canada where there pitchers were either doing, or wanting to do the same thing as me because those country's pitchers also played in the same club events as me and would pitch the same way. But the opposing team would determine what I can do legally with the pitch. A country who didn't send their pitchers to the USA for the club seasons and ONLY pitched with the international rules (2 feet on the rubber and no jumping) would go apes**t if I was to pitch against them and jump. Their pitchers stayed within the ISF (now WBSC) rules, therefore I should have to also. Fair enough.

But when I would jump off the rubber and crow hop, I was not landing, then jumping again. My backfoot would land, then I'd throw. I would still have drag marks from my foot dragging after my crow hop. There was no "2nd push". That doesn't even make sense to me. Nobody is landing, then jumping again. They are landing, and releasing the ball. Isn't that the traditional definition of a crow hop?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
For all intents and purposes, that girl's feet are landing simultaneously. At least, that's what I am seeing here. If that's the case, doesn't that screw up the front-side resistance for the pitcher? Maybe I am missing something here, but that motion is ugly.

This will create more confusion than the prior rules.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi