Leaping, need help!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Dukhunt, try telling her that when she pushes off she should lift her heel up over her toes so that the foot ends up pointing straight down. That should help stop all or most of it. Right now when she drives out she leaves her toes behind and brings her heel forward instead.

(A tip of the Hatlo hat to Javasource for that cue, by the way. I've used it with a couple of girls who had the same issue and it cleaned them up pretty quickly.)

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
(A tip of the Hatlo hat to Javasource for that cue, by the way. I've used it with a couple of girls who had the same issue and it cleaned them up pretty quickly.)

I think about tipping my hat to JS with every kid I see!

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2013
I like also having a barrier to help keep the foot from flopping sideways and staying toe down. Last year we just used a dumb bell but you can make a box. It seemed to really help my then nine year old get her toe down better.

These from Rita Lynn's site, though I am not sure if it needs to be this high for the 1st one.
View attachment 10027View attachment 10028

i built something like this for my DD years ago. she HATED it. i probably only used it less than 10x. as java would say, a foot prison.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
So who told her to open her hips when she drives out? It looks forced and premature instead of natural.

I was thinking the same thing. As Mr Pauly wisely told my daughter, if she has some athleticism(which she seems to have), her body will open. Good advice that I wished she was told before she was coached to open up. It caused a whole other issue that has to be corrected.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2012
Dukhunt, try telling her that when she pushes off she should lift her heel up over her toes so that the foot ends up pointing straight down. That should help stop all or most of it. Right now when she drives out she leaves her toes behind and brings her heel forward instead.

I will definitely try that. I think one thing she's doing is trying to get side ways to early too. Thanks for the help

Chad

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
I searched through some of my videos from my daughters pitching lessons with Rick Pauly. Hopefully, this can help you some.
[video]https://youtu.be/_4sl1h3dUaw[/video]

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
8 1/2 x 11's. Paper that is. Put a sheet under her drag foot. Push off and DRAG the paper.....

Better buy a ream of paper. They only last a couple times.

We have used a wash cloth for this drill, but do not plan to use it again in the bathroom when you are finished....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish