Leadership

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 31, 2011
I would say we have a couple of leaders on our team, but one in particular seems to rise to the top. She's not the best hitter on the team, but an absolute freak at short stop. Her enthusiasm is contagious and I rely on her to start the momentum going when we seem to stall. Say what you will, but certain cheers pump up the entire team. When we get pumped up, great things happen. And this kid can jump start the bench when we need it. I had a brief talk with her midway through the fall season and asked her to continue to her leadership role and take it a step further. By the way, my DD is on the team and is not one of the leaders. She does her job and I am very proud of her. But the leadership role is very important in this sport.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD would be the 1st to agree that she is a not a Leader, not a position she wants to be in. Manger had a talk with her about being a leader and she shutdown for a couple games. Everyone learned the hard way just to leave her alone.

Oct 21, 2009
My DD is a leader both on and off the field. When she was in sixth grade she was awarded the Susan G. Morley Physical Education Student Leadership Award. It is a local award that is handed out at a local college.
After recieving the award she was asked to give a short speech on the award and what it meant to her. She said it meant alot to her as she knew she was recognized for not only what she achieved on the field and in the classroom, but by helping others. She also said her dad always told her to "lead by example". I was so proud I cried.
Now she is in 7th grade and in high school. (k-6 in one building, 7-12 in another.)
Last night at her Christmas concert her band and choir teacher told my wife and I how much fun she is to teach and have in class and
that she walks around the high school like she is a senior, and we let her".
I can she how she interacts with others and the way she carries herself. I know what the OP means. Some kids just have a certain something, can't explain it, they are just geared different.

Jan 25, 2011
But the leadership role is very important in this sport.
I would say that it is the second most important in this sport,being, all team players is first and foremost to success.Having a girl to look as a leader is next,and then I would still have question how important.IMO,yes it is a good character trait to have.

Oct 10, 2011
leadership

It is definitely a personality trait...it doesn't mean they are any better than another athlete, just different. When my daughter started playing a couple years ago, the best player by far on the team was so shy, she hardly talked, but wow could she play ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole