Leadership

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hard to explain because I do not understand it. For some reason Teams play better when DD is involved, she does not even need to contribute on the court or field. Somehow things pickup when she is there. Coaches know it too; she is high on everyone’s list to get her on their Team. They will accept a lot of baggage, me, to have her.

I do not understand it or know how to teach it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One way to determine who the leader is, is to sit every down in a group and ask them to make a decision on ordering 2 pizzas. See who everyone looks at to begin the conversation and make the final decision.

DD had a coach once that wanted her favorite, to be the leader. The girl had no experience and was not a very good ball player. The natural leader was nice enough to stay quiet, but it was obvious who everyone was looking to lead.

My worst teams that I ever coached, had no natural leader.

Sep 17, 2009
We lost our leader this year, she left to play (very high level) soccer, which conflicts with softball season where we live. She was the shortstop, but we can probably replace that. She wasn't a great hitter, even though she was a great athlete. If she had continued down the softball path I'm convinced she would have been a great player, but she wasn't there yet.

She was kind of a pain in the #ss at times. But she was absolutely the center of the team, was HIGHLY competitive and led our team to want to succeed and win -- even if she wasn't always first in line at drills or sometimes even showed up late and wasn't a rah-rah girl. But there was something about her that the girls followed and that we could use as coaches to get the team better.

It was very interesting to see her emerge into that and for us as coaches to all realize something we couldn't totally put a finger on was lost when she left.

Interesting subject.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You can't define it, but you know a leader when you see one. They come in various types the loud vocal ones who will boot her teammates in the rear if they need it. The rah rah pat you on the back types and The fiery lead by example ones who dive for every ball and are always the one taking the extra base. And the quiet lead by example ones who are first in line for every drill, run hard to every base, back up every play...

Lots of leaders, you hope to have one of the quiet ones and one of the loud ones on each team. Even better if they are friends with each other.

My dd at basketball today. Had an asthma issue at the end of the last running drills. The coach lines them up and says, I want a volunteer to shoot a free throw, if she makes it, we are done. If she misses it we run and do it again until someone makes one. DD looks around no one has their hand up, she tosses the inhaler to the ground and walks to the line. She is the queit lead by example type.

Oct 10, 2011
My Daughter, 13, has been the same way, and it's weird because she has only played sports for 2 1/2 years. On her old travel team, the manager would specifically ask her to come and sit the bench with the (much) older girls when they played. She would always lead cheers, etc... all the girls would run up to her, even the older ones. Now she moved to a high level team and she's been sitting back a bit. We've noticed though that at the last few practices the girls have been starting to huddle around her when she comes in. I love seeing her act like a leader...she seems so happy giving advice, pepping girls up, etc... She REALLY respects the skills of her new team mates and will probably lay back a bit. Maybe she'll be president! LOL

Jan 25, 2011
Well being a leader can be good,I myself like the girls that just do their job.I say this because my dd is that girl.She wont lead the cheers,doesnt say much at all and my not be first in line to do drills,but she goes out and does what it takes.Leaders are great for some teams,but players that do their job will take you further.Dependable is what my dd is.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd