Lazy catcher scoring question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
Here is the situation: runner on first, lazy catcher behind the plate.

Ball in the dirt and gets past catcher. Catcher takes her time getting to the ball. Runner gets to 2nd, sees that the catcher still hasn't gotten to the ball, makes the turn and chugs on to third. Catcher finally realizes there is a game going on, decides to run for the ball, gets it and makes a high, off base throw to third that goes into left field. Runner comes up from slide, sees ball in left and runs home. Left fielder backs the play up but doesn't throw the runner out. Runner goes from 1st to home on one pitch.

My scoring: Runner advances on a passed ball, and then scores on an E2 (throw).

Question: Since the runner advanced an extra base (2nd to 3rd) on the passed ball, would this count as an extra error on the catcher? PB lets the runner go from 1 to 2, error C allowing runner to go from 2 to 3, and then error C (throw), allowing runner to go from 3 to H?

Jun 21, 2012
Simply put, No. Since the extra base was gained on the initial passed ball and no additional play was made on the attempt to secure the extra base, it is only one error. Now there was a play made on the advancement to third, which resulted in a throwing error allowing the runner to score. At most, from your description, there should be two errors.

It is along the same lines as having a fast runner turn a single into a double. Let's say your hitter hits a fly ball to right field and the outfielder makes an error. That allows your runner to make it safely to first, but she sees that the outfielder doesn't have the ball yet. She takes off to second, and the outfielder rainbows the ball into second. Does the outfielder get two errors? Nope, just the one.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Pitch in the dirt is a wild pitch not a passed ball. Although blocking is something that competent catchers are expected to do, it's still the pitcher's mistake.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In related news...Catcher is the wrong spot for a lazy player. Actually, catcher is the WORST spot for a lazy player.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
In related news...Catcher is the wrong spot for a lazy player. Actually, catcher is the WORST spot for a lazy player.

Can't agree with you more. DD went from all conference catcher last year in HS ball and now has to pitch because their pitcher graduated. Her replacement behind the dish cannot block and is slow after the ball. DD is constantly shaking off the drop ball with runners on base.

DD got to catch last week against a weaker team. I had to chuckle as she threw out 3 runners and picked off 1. Our "starting" catcher has 2 CS all year. ;)

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Here is the situation: runner on first, lazy catcher behind the plate.

Ball in the dirt and gets past catcher. Catcher takes her time getting to the ball. Runner gets to 2nd, sees that the catcher still hasn't gotten to the ball, makes the turn and chugs on to third. Catcher finally realizes there is a game going on, decides to run for the ball, gets it and makes a high, off base throw to third that goes into left field. Runner comes up from slide, sees ball in left and runs home. Left fielder backs the play up but doesn't throw the runner out. Runner goes from 1st to home on one pitch.

My scoring: Runner advances on a passed ball, and then scores on an E2 (throw).

Question: Since the runner advanced an extra base (2nd to 3rd) on the passed ball, would this count as an extra error on the catcher? PB lets the runner go from 1 to 2, error C allowing runner to go from 2 to 3, and then error C (throw), allowing runner to go from 3 to H?

Based on your description, I would've scored it [1] WP, not PB (any pitch in the dirt is a WP), [2] runner advances to 3rd on the WP, not catcher laziness/inattentive (mental errors are not scored as errors), and runner scores on throwing error by F2. Run is unearned.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Based on your description, I would've scored it [1] WP, not PB (any pitch in the dirt is a WP), [2] runner advances to 3rd on the WP, not catcher laziness/inattentive (mental errors are not scored as errors), and runner scores on throwing error by F2. Run is unearned.
If that's all that transpired yes, unearned. But if the player would have scored from 3rd on subsequent play in the inning that was not an error, the run could become earned.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I remember watching another teams catcher once were every pass ball or wild pitch that would consistently get base runners from 1st to 3rd because the catcher was slow to get to the ball. Absolutely no hustle, it would just kill me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild