Lazy catcher scoring question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Had a catcher in a 0-0 game bottom 7 block ball 4 but couldn't find the ball. Seriously was looking in the air for it. It was right by her foot and never looked down. Batter went to 3rd and scored on the next pitch on a Pass Ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Had a catcher in a 0-0 game bottom 7 block ball 4 but couldn't find the ball. Seriously was looking in the air for it. It was right by her foot and never looked down. Batter went to 3rd and scored on the next pitch on a Pass Ball.

This is a team communication failure. If the pitcher, the infielders, and anyone in the dugout are all standing there watching the catcher struggle to find the ball while the batter is running from home all the way to 3B, and they aren't saying anything to help the catcher, they share the blame. Actually, the rest of the team gets MOST of the blame. If this was my DD's 12U TB team, I would be damned pissed off about it. They know better. If it's a 10U rec team, we would have some very focused work to do in our next practice.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

If the runner went from home to 3rd on ball 4 in the dirt, your team has some serious issues. Though I'm not sure how you can call a blocked ball in the dirt a passed ball when it clearly seems to be a wild pitch.

And like eric says why on earth isn't the pitcher helping the catcher in that situation by pointing and/or running in to get it herself?

Batter getting to second on that play, great hustle on ball 4. Batter getting to 3rd, epic team fail all around can't hang it on the catcher there.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
If the runner went from home to 3rd on ball 4 in the dirt, your team has some serious issues. Though I'm not sure how you can call a blocked ball in the dirt a passed ball when it clearly seems to be a wild pitch.

The following pitch was a passed ball.

The entire team was doing their job, rotating and assisting. There were probably too many people helping. Eventually the pitcher picked up the ball. It still is the craziest play I've watched.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
ah, yeah some crazy stuff can happen on a softball (or baseball) diamond, every time I think I've seen it all something new comes along.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The following pitch was a passed ball.

The entire team was doing their job, rotating and assisting. There were probably too many people helping. Eventually the pitcher picked up the ball. It still is the craziest play I've watched.

I'm struggling to comprehend that part. Giving up 2B I can understand. For the runner to get to 3B, there was a significant break-down.

Last edited: