Launch position characteristics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Let’s start w this..

We don’t want lag per se, when we get rid of lag we are controlling when and where we release the barrel. Speed is the direct result of NOT retarding lag.. OR we create speed by releasing the barrel against our hand speed.. not lagging the barrel.

I think the video above puts all the ‘turn’ folks to bed.. sweet dreams

Sounds great … for golf.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Lower half moves first. Same with throwing.

No, the hands turn at the same time the back leg turns. They are stretched between and ready. You don’t build the swing from the ground up, segment by segment. All that happens naturally from stretching between two pivot points. We are not a whip, we have muscles that can create force between joints. The body works with the ground and the forces created between their interactions.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Here’s what you’re describing . Is this accurate?

I’m saying hips move first. When instructing I tell the player the hips move first but would be almost undetectable without video. As in the above video I also tell them the hands are trying to move faster to catch up to the hips. Of course that’s not a conscious thought when hitting. Hands moving first is a flaw. Hands and hips at the same time is a gate swing. I try to use Miguel Cabrera mostly as the model.

Oct 25, 2009
No, the hands turn at the same time the back leg turns. They are stretched between and ready. You don’t build the swing from the ground up, segment by segment. All that happens naturally from stretching between two pivot points. We are not a whip, we have muscles that can create force between joints. The body works with the ground and the forces created between their interactions.
Was it Ted Williams who said the hips lead the way?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA