last one for now

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IMO this swing represents a non-ideal sequence.

What I see here is a sequence that resembles ... starting with 'stretch', followed by 'coil back', followed by uncoil forward, followed by swing. Would prefer to see a sequence of coiling forward, followed by an overlapping stretch, followed by swing.

161dxtc.gif

Jun 23, 2011
NC
Thanks, we will work on that, more of foward by coil then stretch, what do you think of the swing path, she seems to get behind the ball your thoughts on that and the finish, I really dont put a great deal of effort into teaching finish I view it more of a result.
IMO this swing represents a non-ideal sequence.

What I see here is a sequence that resembles ... starting with 'stretch', followed by 'coil back', followed by uncoil forward, followed by swing. Would prefer to see a sequence of coiling forward, followed by an overlapping stretch, followed by swing.

161dxtc.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes ... think of the sequence starting with forward-by-coil ... Urban Surfing ... forward-but-back ... and then, just as this gets underway, the hands will have a 'feel' of loading up, back & in ... i.e., 'stretch'. The forward-by-coil will be the first move in this sequence, but the stretch will kick in as the forward-by-coil gets underway ... the two will thus overlap. Noon described it as turning on light bulbs, where the light bulbs remain on ... you turn on the first light bulb, that being forward-by-coil ... then turn on the second light bulb, that being stretch ... both lights will be on at the same time, but there is a sequence in terms of which light bulb turned on first.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
when I first looked at this, the finish stood out to me in comparison to the first girl you posted, this one is much more fluid and powerful at finish and extends better through the ball, but there still seems to be a little short arming of the follow through ala girl #1.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

Compare her stretch to shooting a rubber band at someone. She pulls back on the band stretching it, but then lets it go slack again and throws the rubber band at the person.

Use the stretch to power it. She could have a little more solid rear leg to stretch around. Then the biggie is after she stretches around the leg, hold the stretch! Don't reach out with the front leg loosening the stretch. Have the stretched rear side control the forward movement. Then stay stretched at the rear side by resisting the upper half from turning, or she could load the hands back and around AS hear rear leg is turning in and forward...in effect holding and continuing to stretch until launch.

2-upton-6-20_medium.gif

Stretch with preset hands.

chris-davis-40th-home-run.gif

Stretch with hands loading as rear leg turns and moves forward

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I've had an epiphany. After reading FFS and reading BBD about the sequence, something clicked with me about teaching the sequence to my hitters. We're in the high school off-season, but with two of my private hitting students, we reworked the approach to sequencing the swing using "Coil into load", "Coil forward and stretch", and "Unload" cues, and it instantly fixed the robotic nature of my hitters' swings.

I posted last night I used to use RVP stance, load, toe touch, and attack. The new terminology makes more sense to me and worked for two kids last night. Thanks for the repetition, FFS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877