Last night's practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2009
Mesa, AZ
This was only the second time throwing the ball following a 2 week break, so I wasn't expecting anything extrordinary. I just thought DD could hit some spots, work the change a little, and just slowly get back into the groove.
We have tried working on IR in the past, just like we have worked on her finishing high over her head, and even finishing to the opposite shoulder as I have read on some threads. Last night we started arm circles using IR, and she threw hard, not once or twice like in the past, but 10 or so in a row. The glove popped and I was smiling really big.
The next warm up drill after a stationary arm circle is starting open, but using her legs from about 30 feet. The pop was gone and like in the past, she found it once or twice, but it definitely seemed like there was a timing issue or she was releasing the ball too early.
After looking closer, it was apparent she was releasing the ball with her hip angle more open with her legs, than with just the circle. So we made some adjustments, looking at the angle of her drag marks, it seemed she was dragging her toe against herself, meaning pulling her 4 more knee to knee, than actually making a figure 4 and pulling the drag knee through to finish. I hope that make sense.
Anyways, we have always stressed her being an open style pitcher for long term arm health, even though her speed has always suffered. I was excited to have a breakthrough of sorts, and am curious regarding other's experiences. Obviously, with many gifted kids, IR just happens. How have the rest of you seen it all "come together"?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Since it's a 'feel' thing it is very difficult to teach, especially when the girl already has a grooved bowling motion. I have gone to using a video camera when I am outside and giving them instant feedback. 2 or 3 pitches and we look at the tape. What ever drill she was doing that brought on the good armwhip I would emphasize. If she loses it on the next drill go back to what was working and keep bringing her attention to the different feel.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Thats the beauty of taking time off after a hectic schedule. I've seen it with both of my kids, working on a certain aspect of their sport all season, struggling at times, then having the penny drop and it all comes together when you least expect it. Congrats on the breakthrough.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA