Kinetic link

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Question for anyone, but probably more specifically for those that understand HI mechanics. Is the red shirt swing a good representation of HI teachings? I am not a HI member, but personally it looks like a work in progress to me. With or without chemical assistance, I still consider Bonds to be the GOAT.
IIRC, that was filmed the first (maybe second) time he was with Rich. So it's really only a representation of a guy first trying to figure it all out, and applying something brand new for the first time after doing something much different, and ingrained for many years prior to that....compared to one of the best MLB hitters ever. But whatcha go do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dec 4, 2013
IIRC, that was filmed the first (maybe second) time he was with Rich. So it's really only a representation of a guy first trying to figure it all out, and applying something brand new for the first time after doing something much different, and ingrained for many years prior to that....compared to one of the best MLB hitters ever. But whatcha go do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why not compare apples to oranges Mud? lol

That's a "go to" move for many on these boards! :confused:

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
C'mon, someone here has to be able to give a simple explanation of the two supposed core movements/usages if you want to say there's a difference between them. How else can you say you teach or explain the difference to your students if you can't give a simple explanation here? "Fused core is one that is slaved to the upper half resisting a driving rear leg" makes zero sense. Since the core is in the upper half, how can it be "slaved" to itself in one but not the other when relating it to the rear leg of the lower half? Is the core not "slaved" to the upper half when used "actively"? If not, what's it slaved to in that movement?

So very simply, what is it that exactly that I (or your students) should be looking for in the Bonds, and red shirt hitter's swings that would let me (them) identify a "fused" core from an "active" one?

Edited to add, "I believe core does more than just resist turning forward...." as well TJ, and didn't mean to have implied otherwise if I had come across differently earlier.

Five, no...I do not consider arm movement is part of the core's movement or facilitated by the core...other than as they relate to one another timing wise as mentioned in my post you quoted. The arms, and shoulders are moved by a completely different, and separate set of muscles well outside of that of what is considered the "core".

The word I use with my hitters is "inspire" ... I consider the lead arm to be a 'swinger', that is "inspired" by the core's action.

Griffeyx.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
XRu9Pmv.gif

Question for anyone, but probably more specifically for those that understand HI mechanics. Is the red shirt swing a good representation of HI teachings? I am not a HI member, but personally it looks like a work in progress to me. With or without chemical assistance, I still consider Bonds to be the GOAT.

Also the gif has been 'doctored' a bit.....to fit someones agenda.
tumblr_ouy4js6IVG1usf292o1_400.gif

tumblr_ouy4coPRzB1usf292o1_400.gif

but,don't let THAT get in the way........:p

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
The word I use with my hitters is "inspire" ... I consider the lead arm to be a 'swinger', that is "inspired" by the core's action.
How did we get from a discussion about the relationship of the two supposed different core usages to the lower half...to how a hitter is "inspired" to use his arms (lead arm) by the core's action?

So how or what about the core "inspires" the lead arm that could be said to be different than "hips then hands"?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I guess it may be important to understand what each person considers the "core". As a weightlifter/powerlifter back in the day (when I was actually in good shape...), the muscles surrounding the scapula were considered to be part of the core.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How did we get from a discussion about the relationship of the two supposed different core usages to the lower half...to how a hitter is "inspired" to use his arms (lead arm) by the core's action?

So how or what about the core "inspires" the lead arm that could be said to be different than "hips then hands"?

Easy ... I haven't been discussing two different core usages ... more that one's core usage transmits far less than does the other.

Here's what I wrote ...

Regarding the video that TDS posted above (Bonds on the left, developing hitter on the right) … I see some significant differences. For starters, slack removal is superior on the left … as is the lead arm usage. This alone makes a significant difference in what will be realized from the use of the core.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
XRu9Pmv.gif

tumblr_ouy4w7Jcmi1usf292o1_500.gif

Does anyone think these two clips are synced properly?
Sorry, but I was just getting tired of seeing this 'gif' every time a certain poster was try to push his/her agenda.

Apr 11, 2015
I guess it may be important to understand what each person considers the "core". As a weightlifter/powerlifter back in the day (when I was actually in good shape...), the muscles surrounding the scapula were considered to be part of the core.
Correct or not, this is basically what I consider the "core" when talking about hitting.....
core-1-300x225.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67