Kinetic link

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Regarding the video that TDS posted above (Bonds on the left, developing hitter on the right) … I see some significant differences. For starters, slack removal is superior on the left … as is the lead arm usage. This alone makes a significant difference in what will be realized from the use of the core.
Disagree. Simply a timing difference in their pattern/sequence, with developing hitter bleeding the coil too early (not maintaining it fully before launch), but the use of the core to create the coil/resistance is quite similar in the two earlier in the clip...

Meaning they both used their "core" to create the resistance, and why I'm wonder what the difference is between a "fused core", and an "active" one. Do you know the difference between the two Five?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am also curious about the meaning of a "fused" core. Generally speaking I think all hitters utilize their core to create resistance. It is just a matter of how efficiently/inefficiently they do so, and when that resistance is released.

May 3, 2014
TDS used fused core first. I just was just using his language to show that the hitters I posted were using their core to resist turning forward. Whether you think the core muscles are active in resisting or fused to resist the outcome is the same. But, some still think the core muscles are actively fused as they turn forward.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I wonder if a fused core would/could restrict dynamic movement?
Most notably if it affects sequencing....

Edited to add, I believe core does more than just resist turning forward....

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Fused core (my eyes) is one that is slaved to the upper half resisting a driving rear leg, then snap barrel gone.. SNF would be a good example...

Another example of resisting a riding rear leg.

Guds0qt.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Disagree. Simply a timing difference in their pattern/sequence, with developing hitter bleeding the coil too early (not maintaining it fully before launch), but the use of the core to create the coil/resistance is quite similar in the two earlier in the clip...

Meaning they both used their "core" to create the resistance, and why I'm wonder what the difference is between a "fused core", and an "active" one. Do you know the difference between the two Five?

I came across an example of a video description of a 'fused core' a while back. If I can find it again I'll post it.

I do view the lead arm actions and slack removal in those two swings as different. I see Bonds' lowering as his hands/arms lift. His core is much more prepared to inspire barrel movement. I see the swing of the developing hitter as not allowing the work of the core to quickly transmit along the lead arm to the bottom hand. I see the developing hitter as performing a great deal of more 'rotation', or perhaps core usage, to send the message to the barrel. Perhaps you see that as well. Maybe you consider that to be a coil issue. Perhaps ... but the slack and lead arm here are significantly different IMO.

Apr 11, 2015
C'mon, someone here has to be able to give a simple explanation of the two supposed core movements/usages if you want to say there's a difference between them. How else can you say you teach or explain the difference to your students if you can't give a simple explanation here? "Fused core is one that is slaved to the upper half resisting a driving rear leg" makes zero sense. Since the core is in the upper half, how can it be "slaved" to itself in one but not the other when relating it to the rear leg of the lower half? Is the core not "slaved" to the upper half when used "actively"? If not, what's it slaved to in that movement?

So very simply, what is it that exactly that I (or your students) should be looking for in the Bonds, and red shirt hitter's swings that would let me (them) identify a "fused" core from an "active" one?

Edited to add, "I believe core does more than just resist turning forward...." as well TJ, and didn't mean to have implied otherwise if I had come across differently earlier.

Five, no...I do not consider arm movement is part of the core's movement or facilitated by the core...other than as they relate to one another timing wise as mentioned in my post you quoted. The arms, and shoulders are moved by a completely different, and separate set of muscles well outside of that of what is considered the "core".

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
C'mon, someone here has to be able to give a simple explanation of the two supposed core movements/usages if you want to say there's a difference between them. How else can you say you teach or explain the difference to your students if you can't give a simple explanation here? "Fused core is one that is slaved to the upper half resisting a driving rear leg" makes zero sense. Since the core is in the upper half, how can it be "slaved" to itself in one but not the other when relating it to the rear leg of the lower half? Is the core not "slaved" to the upper half when used "actively"? If not, what's it slaved to in that movement?

So very simply, what is it that exactly that I (or your students) should be looking for in the Bonds, and red shirt hitter's swings that would let me (them) identify a "fused" core from an "active" one?

Edited to add, "I believe core does more than just resist turning forward...." as well TJ, and didn't mean to have implied otherwise if I had come across differently earlier.

Five, no...I do not consider arm movement is part of the core's movement or facilitated by the core...other than as they relate to one another timing wise as mentioned in my post you quoted. The arms, and shoulders are moved by a completely different, and separate set of muscles well outside of that of what is considered the "core".

Yeah I'm not sure what is being discussed.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Question for anyone, but probably more specifically for those that understand HI mechanics. Is the red shirt swing a good representation of HI teachings? I am not a HI member, but personally it looks like a work in progress to me. With or without chemical assistance, I still consider Bonds to be the GOAT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw