Kinetic link

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
And this one

okcLnS.gif

And when you say one doesn't leverage a fused core I agree with you. The hitters above are leveraging a fused core that is resisting. Their rear legs are turning their fused, resisting core forward. Their hands/forearms are turning the barrel rearward to go forward.

The core is not 'fused', it is active ... it is a major engine in the swing.

okc_Ln_Sx.gif

Neither is the rear arm yanked backwards .... or late lead arm pronation into impact.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I just think that Miggy is about as compact as you would want to teach while in this still you see Jeter which is probably on the other side of the spectrum as loose/wide as you would want to be. As a rule you don't want to start of teaching on the ends of the spectrum but you should aim for the middle, but if your player is comfortable and performing at the ends of the spectrum I would not mess with it.

View attachment 12167

I personally think Miggy is a good target to shoot for.

Apr 11, 2015
Sure would save on all the drama created on these forums.
Only drama is from those who still confuse "pattern" with "sequence". All of the clips you posted are using resistance from the rear hip "around" the rear leg (which is done with the use of the "core") to maintain their weight rearward. Some are just doing it with less forward movement with the lower half than others. Same "sequence" in all, just slightly different "patterns" getting there is all.

EDIT: "Pre-set coil", "early coil", "late coil"...it's all the same forum "drama" nonsense of particular players "patterns" of creating coil, and taking it forward into the ball. As long as a hitter develops coil, and maintains it fully before actually launching the swing is all that is needed....however, and whenever they choose to do so, with whatever "pattern" they feel most comfortable with for themselves personally.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
I personally think Miggy is a good target to shoot for.

I just think someone who is not as strong would have a harder time getting the most out of a compact swing instead of taking full advantage of using a longer (looser/wider not really settled on how to describe it).

I do like @mudders point I don't think anyone is arguing they both don't have the proper sequencing and maybe some of this is style (pattern) but again I would be comfortable with either approach as long as it is working for the player.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Only drama is from those who still confuse "pattern" with "sequence". All of the clips you posted are using resistance from the rear hip "around" the rear leg (which is done with the use of the "core") to maintain their weight rearward. Some are just doing it with less forward movement with the lower half than others. Same "sequence" in all, just slightly different "patterns" getting there is all.

EDIT: "Pre-set coil", "early coil", "late coil"...it's all the same forum "drama" nonsense of particular players "patterns" of creating coil, and taking it forward into the ball. As long as a hitter develops coil, and maintains it fully before actually launching the swing is all that is needed....however, and whenever they choose to do so, with whatever "pattern" they feel most comfortable with for themselves personally.

Could be if you refuse to feel the difference. Fused core vs active would be called what ?

XRu9Pmv.gif

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
Could be if you refuse to feel the difference. Fused core vs active would be called what ?
Admittedly, I'm not understanding what a "fused core" is compared to an "active" one, since IMO the core is used dynamically regardless of the pattern. So maybe you could explain the differences in the two, and how to identify that difference in the two videos you just posted above.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Admittedly, I'm not understanding what a "fused core" is compared to an "active" one, since IMO the core is used dynamically regardless of the pattern. So maybe you could explain the differences in the two, and how to identify that difference in the two videos you just posted above.

Butter, can give you the fused definition.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I just think someone who is not as strong would have a harder time getting the most out of a compact swing instead of taking full advantage of using a longer (looser/wider not really settled on how to describe it).
Sounds like you are 'describing' a momentum based swing pattern. Correct me if I'm incorrect.

Sep 29, 2014
Sounds like you are 'describing' a momentum based swing pattern. Correct me if I'm incorrect.

All swings are momentum based just like all swings (elite level) are linear and rotational. It's not an either or it is just the amount of each changes from player to player according to what works for them. The important part is the sequence is correct.

Two different looking swings not one right or one wrong....one very compact the other long but both beautiful and powerful.

and I can make gifs so maybe you could help...but I think you get the drift.

bonds heel plant.JPGgriffey2.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Regarding the video that TDS posted above (Bonds on the left, developing hitter on the right) … I see some significant differences. For starters, slack removal is superior on the left … as is the lead arm usage. This alone makes a significant difference in what will be realized from the use of the core.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish