Keeping the Front Shoulder Down during Stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
I’m kinda at a crossroads with her swing. Wanting get the rear leg more in control to allow for contact deeper in the zone. She has the highest BA on the team but I know she can be better, more consistent. Like Coach Mike mentioned we play year around. I’m hesitant to make too many changes due to the success she’s having and knowing she would struggle initially with pattern adjustments. Thoughts, critiques are welcomed.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I’m kinda at a crossroads with her swing. Wanting get the rear leg more in control to allow for contact deeper in the zone. She has the highest BA on the team but I know she can be better, more consistent. Like Coach Mike mentioned we play year around. I’m hesitant to make too many changes due to the success she’s having and knowing she would struggle initially with pattern adjustments. Thoughts, critiques are welcomed.
This particular swing she appears one frame late of getting leveraged IOW's starting her swing 1 frame before fully leveraged.

4dc8YXO.gif

sHYTOLT.gif

Aug 20, 2017
This particular swing she appears one frame late of getting leveraged IOW's starting her swing 1 frame before fully leveraged.

4dc8YXO.gif

sHYTOLT.gif
I see it. Been working on letting the ball get deeper which may have caused her to be late getting levered. She’s been contacting the ball well off her front foot. Trying to balance getting levered on time with not contacting ball too far out front. This pic is from game 1 off the same pitcher see hit out last night.
9ECC50D6-678C-468F-9EB0-CF3EF8BD1BCA.png

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I see it. Been working on letting the ball get deeper which may have caused her to be late getting levered. She’s been contacting the ball well off her front foot. Trying to balance getting levered on time with not contacting ball too far out front. This pic is from game 1 off the same pitcher see hit out last night.
View attachment 25531

Of course you know she will need to hit the ball more out front on an inside pitch, but if one can get here dynamically without letting the weight shift across the pelvis she should be able to hit the inside pitches out front while still being able to allow the outside pitches to get deeper and drive the other way. Most don't get here but instead shift and rotate through the zone at the same time which is why they pull off or hit flares the other way.

sHYTOLT.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
It’s not that I have never seen this swing plane, it’s just swing down out front. The posture stays tall, back shoulder up. While trying to hit a ball much lower than the upright posture.

Ok, She needs to pinch the scap. While the lowerbody begins. This should help with the back arm starting to soon and increase her stretch.

Very nice, I think she can get even better.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It’s not that I have never seen this swing plane, it’s just swing down out front. The posture stays tall, back shoulder up. While trying to hit a ball much lower than the upright posture.

Ok, She needs to pinch the scap. While the lowerbody begins. This should help with the back arm starting to soon and increase her stretch.

Or maybe she’s starting a bit to early. Out front is out front bc of timing in this case. You can only be FYB for so long. The HR vid shows as much. So does the previous HR. But she hit a great shot on a pitch up outta the zone. Bc she was early in the first place. Great shot on an inside pitch as well. Notice the forward move before pitch release. Too early imo.

You try to commit weight shift as late as possible so you can commit your swing as late as possible, getting leveraged wo a timing issue. It’s done mostly in the on deck circle.

Overstriding which causes leaking is the issue mechanically bc of timing. Just too early. This can happen when the focus is HR derby practice Or just trying to do too much. For me I would work on seeing it deep during BP. Let it play out during the game, AND another reason why pros hit backside liners and GBs during BP. Keeping the stroke and their approach short. This is what gets you right.

But at the end of the day anticipation is a big part of hitting. Maybe CBs DD knew what was coming.

Aug 20, 2017

The best pitchers she faces work up in the zone with good velocity. As has been mentioned she cheats to be on time and this has caused issues (leaking, contact too far out front etc). We had to really harp on staying on top of the ball in season to prevent t weak pop ups. Her swing plane has changed because of that. 10u - 14u travel ball average velocity was much lower than what she’s facing in varsity school ball. She was able to have success with a much higher attack angle in travel ball. That wasn’t gonna work in school ball. She was missing under way too often. She’s an 8th grader on a really strong softball team. Plenty of good players to take her spot if she goes a couple games without producing. Pressure to perform every game. Competition for playing time is a good thing but I think it caused us to apply some bandaids to her swing and probably has hurt her overall growth as a consistent doubles hitter.

Aug 20, 2017
Or maybe she’s starting a bit to early. Out front is out front bc of timing in this case. You can only be FYB for so long. The HR vid shows as much. So does the previous HR. But she hit a great shot on a pitch up outta the zone. Bc she was early in the first place. Great shot on an inside pitch as well. Notice the forward move before pitch release. Too early imo.

You try to commit weight shift as late as possible so you can commit your swing as late as possible, getting leveraged wo a timing issue. It’s done mostly in the on deck circle.

Overstriding which causes leaking is the issue mechanically bc of timing. Just too early. This can happen when the focus is HR derby practice Or just trying to do too much. For me I would work on seeing it deep during BP. Let it play out during the game, AND another reason why pros hit backside liners and GBs during BP. Keeping the stroke and their approach short. This is what gets you right.

But at the end of the day anticipation is a big part of hitting. Maybe CBs DD knew what was coming.
Agree with everything you said. Front foot is down too early and we leak and lose leverage. We have worked on hitting oppo and letting the ball get deeper. With girls throwing 60 it’s a tough ask. Starting a little later would be ideal. We play a win or season is over game tonight. Will have about two weeks before we start travel ball to see what I can do with her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA