Kathy Van Wyk~Hall Of Fame Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
College softball started to become a national sport in 1997 and the level of play and parity has evolved significantly since then.

Talk of that bygone era reminds me of the Miami Dolphin fans around here that cling to 1972 like it still is relevant. :)
Disagree with this comment of softball started being recognized nationally in 1997.
Because of the history befor that.
~So Simply shared a post with timelines to consider, previous of that, which have put softball across the nation, internationally for that matter.

As to softball evolving~
Brought attention to rules and equitpment changing as a huge reason to why and how the sport has evolved.
*When the new yellow ball came out i did a hitting test...i could self toss it from home plate and hit over the fence. No way with old ball.
That ^ and batters not having to move on HBP and moving pitching back 3 feet imo are the BIGGEST REASONS for seeing a difference on the field.
imo these are VERY important factors in speaking of our sports history.
( which a lot of people nowadays know nothing of this)

Heres another thing to consider.
The texture of the ball changed also. Which i believe pitches used to move more with the old ball.
Have done some research to this. It has to do with the wind and spin effects on the ball.
( will share that. Others like maybe MR.B or BIG Q may have their notations on this perspective)

Having been a part of softball decades ago, and still being involved....
Have seen many years of talent.
Does talent stand out more to me now than talent from years ago? No.
What i know with certainty is~
The athletes of years ago showed the world talent.
Its great to still paticipate and see talent today!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Sorry off topic but I have to know.

Did it just change to the Rawlings K-master? They have it on their website(I just got some because I think they are cool. And Ill know theyre mine!)

Rawlings also makes a white ball approved by the NFHS for whatever that is worth. I like the white ball. Maybe because I golf and when i see a yellow ball I assume it's a "hacker" automatically. Stigma.

On topic: RAD would you argue that womens fastpitch is not more popular than ever now?

Not sure I understand your question: "Did it just change to the Rawlings Kmaster?" Men's fastpitch has been using the Rawlings (Worth) Kmaster for 15 years or more. Rawlings, which purchased Worth, made the business decision that it's not worth it to make a white ball for a dying breed of ball players (men's FP). They will still make the ball in the optic yellow but the white cover is done after this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan