Kathy Van Wyk~Hall Of Fame Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
Further my comments by addressing the main topic. It benefits the sport to have coaches with longevity involved.
Applaud their leadership for our daughters.

Aug 21, 2008
@RADcatcher out of curiosity, when do you feel softball joined the mainstream?

I don't remember when softball was first put on ESPN for the WCWS but I"m guessing it was a while ago. But the popularity of softball, going into many mid-major schools was an early 90's thing, no? I am asking, I truly don't know. I don't remember hearing much about softball outside of UCLA, Arizona, etc. when I was younger. I know there was softball in other schools and other divisions but, it seems to have exploded in popularity in the 90's. Or do you think it was earlier? NEW ZEALAND won the women's ISF in 1986.... showing the USA had not established global dominance then.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher out of curiosity, when do you feel softball joined the mainstream?

I don't remember when softball was first put on ESPN for the WCWS but I"m guessing it was a while ago. But the popularity of softball, going into many mid-major schools was an early 90's thing, no? I am asking, I truly don't know. I don't remember hearing much about softball outside of UCLA, Arizona, etc. when I was younger. I know there was softball in other schools and other divisions but, it seems to have exploded in popularity in the 90's. Or do you think it was earlier? NEW ZEALAND won the women's ISF in 1986.... showing the USA had not established global dominance then.
Maybe defining mainstream important to the topic.

How about what helped softball get to what ever point mainstream is defined as?

Heres a little brainstorming ;)...

Is travel ball mainstream.
Could answer yes. So 1970's.
Or befor that international competition .
Or When women started getting athletic scholarships? So when was that...i was in elementary school...
Or softball in the military. That was years ago also.
Or when title 9 implemented in 1972 started promoting more female sports.

Maybe the perspective of televised softball is the new age of fastpitch? That could be Said of many things....home shopping network. But shopping was around befor QVC...

What i know is befor 1981 i had already played fastpitch in 14 states.

There can be a compairison of the differences from when equiptment and rule changes happened. Can look those dates up. Regardless of this ^
With certainty there is extemely competitive softball talent then and now.

Little goooogle search
Screenshot_2020-11-21-18-45-49-1.png

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
For what its worth, they still use a white ball in most men's FP in USA. The Worth Kmaster, but they have recently discontinued it. It was the last white ball being made for fastpitch softball, and now it's gone. The ISC (International softball congress) has a 3 year supply of the white ball left, then it'll be gone forever. The men's FP game has become so insignificant to equipment suppliers that nobody will even cater to this market anymore, that's how far the game has fallen.

Sorry off topic but I have to know.

Did it just change to the Rawlings K-master? They have it on their website(I just got some because I think they are cool. And Ill know theyre mine!)

Rawlings also makes a white ball approved by the NFHS for whatever that is worth. I like the white ball. Maybe because I golf and when i see a yellow ball I assume it's a "hacker" automatically. Stigma.

On topic: RAD would you argue that womens fastpitch is not more popular than ever now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan