Kathy Van Wyk~Hall Of Fame Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Kathy Van Wyk~Hall Of Fame Pitcher

Nice read of amazing accomplishments!
Still contributing to fastpitch as the
Head Coach at San Diego State
*(check out the reference of Kathy's pitching records compaired to Jenny Finch) ;)

Aug 21, 2008
Rad, I love ya. But never fall into the trap of comparing generations. Ms. Van Wyk did not have to pitch with polycore balls vs. composite bats. College athletes are better trained today (overall) than in yesteryear with nutrition, conditioning, coaching, etc. It's an uphill battle to compare generations.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Rad, I love ya. But never fall into the trap of comparing generations. Ms. Van Wyk did not have to pitch with polycore balls vs. composite bats. College athletes are better trained today (overall) than in yesteryear with nutrition, conditioning, coaching, etc. It's an uphill battle to compare generations.
if everyone read the article because i wrote that it worked! ;)
I didnt make the compairison the article did.

But to your point THERE IS a difference from the game then and now.
Hitting WAS much harder to get a base hit!
Thanks for bringing it up!!

Aug 21, 2008
if everyone read the article because i wrote that it worked! ;)
I didnt make the compairison the article did.

But to your point THERE IS a difference from the game then and now.
Hitting WAS much harder to get a base hit!
Thanks for bringing it up!!

Fair enough, I only skimmed it. I'll read it more thoroughly. Great post though, I love the stories of yesteryear.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
To Bills point, if you let today's college pitchers chuck white rock from 12u distance they would be just as dominate or more than those of ancient times. It is a very different game now. Apples to oranges.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
To Bills point, if you let today's college pitchers chuck white rock from 12u distance they would be just as dominate or more than those of ancient times. It is a very different game now. Apples to oranges.
*The article compaired those two pitchers!

Of course the game has changed Riseball! Never have i ever commented one was better than the other!
Pitching dominance of the past changed because they moved the pitching distance back.
Then ball and techno bats.

Lets acknowledge the current batting averages, inflated beyond old fp avg's and beyond mlb averages because of these changes also.

The changes were made to make the game more appealing to fans.
Has helped grow the game by adding tons more home runs.
Exciting moments.

Which btw some people do gripe about the ease of being able to hit home runs now.
So go figure 💁

Thanku for your compairing then and now so folks in fastpitch can know how the game has evolved!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
*The article compaired those two pitchers!

Of course the game has changed Riseball! Never have i ever commented one was better than the other!
Pitching dominance of the past changed because they moved the pitching distance back.
Then ball and techno bats.

Lets acknowledge the current batting averages, inflated beyond old fp avg's and beyond mlb averages because of these changes also.

The changes were made to make the game more appealing to fans.
Has helped grow the game by adding tons more home runs.
Exciting moments.

Which btw some people do gripe about the ease of being able to hit home runs now.
So go figure 💁

Thanku for your compairing then and now so folks in fastpitch can know how the game has evolved!
Sorry for the confusion. My post was simply in agreement with @Hillhouse regarding the comparison of todays players with those of the white ball, 40 foot days. Had nothing to with you or your post. College softball started to become a national sport in 1997 and the level of play and parity has evolved significantly since then. Talk of that bygone era reminds me of the Miami Dolphin fans around here that cling to 1972 like it still is relevant. :)

Aug 21, 2008
For what its worth, they still use a white ball in most men's FP in USA. The Worth Kmaster, but they have recently discontinued it. It was the last white ball being made for fastpitch softball, and now it's gone. The ISC (International softball congress) has a 3 year supply of the white ball left, then it'll be gone forever. The men's FP game has become so insignificant to equipment suppliers that nobody will even cater to this market anymore, that's how far the game has fallen.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Sorry for the confusion. My post was simply in agreement with @Hillhouse regarding the comparison of todays players with those of the white ball, 40 foot days. Had nothing to with you or your post. College softball started to become a national sport in 1997 and the level of play and parity has evolved significantly since then. Talk of that bygone era reminds me of the Miami Dolphin fans around here that cling to 1972 like it still is relevant. :)
Joe who? Joe mama!

Think its actually good to chat about growth. Then to now.

in the equiptment forum people right now posts talking about the ease of hitting homers and how equiptment blew up the game.
So go figure.

*fastpitch has been an international and national sport far befor 1997.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Great thing is the list of talented players who are still involved in fastpitch growing the sport.
They went from being suprior examples playing fastpitch to being outstanding coaches with record setting seasons.
From then to now!

Kathy Van Wyk continue's to set a positive example for many generations!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan