Kansas City Star article re facemasks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Yes, I was joking. I’m pro mask. I’d like to see all the younger girls wear them no matter their position. However the statement was no more absurd then most used as “proof” that masks should be mandated. Even so I’ll take a good mask debate any day over the silliness we’ve seen from the two clowns running for President.

The best thing about DFP has been the absence of comments about the election.

I hate watching TV this time of year in a swing state. The ads are horrible. Not just for the main ticket, but for the US Senate race and even the state legislator races.
I think I will need a shower after this election.

So strange to think that candidates who were fairly close friends a little over a year ago are now running ads saying things I wouldn't say about my worst enemy.

And PLEASE don't anyone tell me how you voted. The ads already told me your candidate will destroy the nation, or perhaps the entire planet.

Sorry for the vent. I really would never let politics interfere with a team. I once crossed party lines to vote for the father of a kid on my DD 3's soccer team, just to show team unity.

Jun 12, 2015
I keep politics and religion off limits as much as possible with DD's team. Most of them would probably agree with each other. But definitely not with me. And I'd rather not get into it. I cannot wait for it to be over! Whichever way it goes. Softball is so much better than politics. :D

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I keep politics and religion off limits as much as possible with DD's team. Most of them would probably agree with each other. But definitely not with me. And I'd rather not get into it. I cannot wait for it to be over! Whichever way it goes. Softball is so much better than politics. :D

Softball is much more fun than politics.

The most dreadfully boring party I ever went to was a surprise birthday party in the state where I grew up that the wife of a well-known politician threw for her husband. He later included pictures of the party in his autobiography, which suggests he thought it a great party. It bored me to tears. I left the place with the host's kids and we went to a Sonic to get away.
I had a friend whose brother was a friend of the Governor of a different state, and she said the parties her brother threw for the Gov were mind numbingly boring.

OTOH, get a team of softball girls together for some games of pool or bowling or at a pizza place between games or for dinner, and you've got a place that's jumping!

Nov 25, 2015
The Frozen Tundra
Did not see it personally, but Sunday at a game DD2 hit a line drive that tipped off of pitchers glove into her mask. DW said it would have been minimum a concussion if not worse if no mask on. Hit squire in the forehead area.

Makes you wonder sometimes that you don't see more injured pitchers in collage.

Jun 12, 2015
Today we were playing and one of our players slammed a line drive down the third base line. It took the third baseman right in the face. It was the most horrifying thing I've seen in softball including my own child taking a hard hit to the shin at pitcher. This girl went down like a rock. I still see it when I close my eyes. It was horrible. She was wearing a face mask. She lay there for a little bit with the coaches attending to her, then got up and they helped her off the field. I have never seen a coach move so fast in my life as the coach making it across the field to that girl. She was OK, and even was back at 3B the next inning (that shocked me! It was a VERY hard hit ball). I am not exaggerating when I say there's a real possibility that face mask saved her life. It definitely saved her precious face. I don't even know the girl and my hands were shaking the rest of that game. My DD plays 3B often and I'm sure that contributed to the emotional impact it had on me. Still, we were all very shaken up and I'm sure her parents and her team felt it even more strongly. After seeing that in person, with my own eyes, you can bet my kid will NEVER play infield without one.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
One of my 16U players took a line drive right to the mask in mid October. She was playing 3rd. She's been out of school and softball for a month today. The only thing the mask did without scientific proof was protect the structure of her face. It's mandatory for our corners and pitcher to wear a mask and optional for every other position.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I think I mentioned the last time this topic came up --

This summer DD 3 hit a line drive right at the 3B. It knocked the 3B's mask off. The girl was OK, and just had to put her mask back on.
We have no idea what would've happened if the 3B hadn't been wearing a mask, and I'm glad we didn't find out.

Nov 12, 2016
Walnut Grove, GA.
Today we were playing and one of our players slammed a line drive down the third base line. It took the third baseman right in the face. It was the most horrifying thing I've seen in softball including my own child taking a hard hit to the shin at pitcher. This girl went down like a rock. I still see it when I close my eyes. It was horrible. She was wearing a face mask. She lay there for a little bit with the coaches attending to her, then got up and they helped her off the field. I have never seen a coach move so fast in my life as the coach making it across the field to that girl. She was OK, and even was back at 3B the next inning (that shocked me! It was a VERY hard hit ball). I am not exaggerating when I say there's a real possibility that face mask saved her life. It definitely saved her precious face. I don't even know the girl and my hands were shaking the rest of that game. My DD plays 3B often and I'm sure that contributed to the emotional impact it had on me. Still, we were all very shaken up and I'm sure her parents and her team felt it even more strongly. After seeing that in person, with my own eyes, you can bet my kid will NEVER play infield without one.

And, I think that this was the same tournament (Turner Lake) that I seen a team and not ONE girl was wearing one. It appeared to me that they made a conscious decision not to wear them because none were wearing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad