Kansas City Star article re facemasks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
And, I think that this was the same tournament (Turner Lake) that I seen a team and not ONE girl was wearing one. It appeared to me that they made a conscious decision not to wear them because none were wearing them.

Yep, that's the one! The first thing I said when my senses returned after that hit was thank god that didn't happen in the game against that team. Not a single girl was wearing one on the whole team. It definitely seems like it must be a conscious decision on their part but who knows.

Nov 12, 2016
Walnut Grove, GA.
It definitely seems like it must be a conscious decision on their part but who knows.

I asked a guy if he had a daughter on the team and he said "Yes I sure do". I then asked "Do y'all purposelessly not were a mask because not one girl is wearing one?" His reply was a short "That's what gloves are for!" in an arrogant cocky tone. I left it at that.

Jun 12, 2015
I really, really hope that he gets to stay arrogant and that his daughter never has that happen to her. I'll tell you, that 3B had NO time to react. It was a very hard hit. She didn't have time to get her glove up or get out of the way. It was not because she was a bad ball player. It's because that ball got fired right at her face. I really truly hope he never has to regret his attitude about masks, for his daughter's sake. But I had a feeling it was something like that.

Jul 26, 2016
With the amount of money a coach has invested at the collegiate level and perhaps a whole season on the line if a team loses a key player, NOT wearing a mask at 3rd or pitcher is just dumb.
Much less the pain and suffering (or someday something worse) from taking one off the face / head.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In the grand scheme of things injuries that may or may not be prevented by a mask are way down on the list of concerns for a college coach. What happens and what concerns folks in HS and TB is a world away from college ball.

Jan 31, 2011
I have 3 real life experiences on this topic.
1) About 5 years ago I was watching a HS game. Our team's #4 hitter drove one back at the pitcher & hit her squarely in the face. She went down & blood everywhere. We all were dialing 911 and waited like an eternity for the ambulance to arrive. She recovered, but never really played competitively again. (Our clean up hitter went on to U of Wisconsin to play ball)

2) About 5 years ago on the '98 TB team I coached, my clean up hitter turned on one and hit the 3rd baseman in the mask. The kid tilted her head back as the ball hit her and it drilled the chin protector into her gums causing her to bleed pretty bad out of her mouth. She left the game, but returned later to keep playing. The mask did its job.

2) About 2 years ago, a pitcher on the '01 TB team I currently coach took a shot squarely off her Rip-It Mask. She picked the ball up & threw the batter-runner out, then started to cry. I called time, ran out to check on her. She pleaded not to come out of the game. She finished the game and now continues to pitch very competitively. NO trip to the hospital, no brutal injury.

To me its simple. The mask works. If you choose not to use one you take a chance of enduring a possible career ending injury or worse. I have heard many horror stories about these injuries. Last I looked, the Rip-It mask is under $50. That's pretty cheap insurance...

Jul 3, 2013
DD's HS coach just sent out an email to the team announcing a rule change for next season. All pitchers must now wear face masks. I don't have any further details, that is all she sent.

Edit- mandated by the Missouri State High School Athletic Association.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2015
normal IL
I am amazed that we will spend $5,000 on braces to have nice teeth but people wont spend $50 on a face mask. My DD pitches and wears one. Her entire travel team wears them. Cheep insurance
Getting hit in the face is every pitchers parents nightmare

Jul 3, 2013
I am amazed that we will spend $5,000 on braces to have nice teeth but people wont spend $50 on a face mask. My DD pitches and wears one. Her entire travel team wears them. Cheep insurance
Getting hit in the face is every pitchers parents nightmare
My DD is a catcher, she always wears one.

Cost of the mask is never the issue. She'll either wear one or she won't. We've had plenty that won't pitch without, and 3 or 4 that won't wear one. I suppose if parents and coaches demand it from the start, it would have a greater chance of sticking.

Jul 3, 2013
That being said, at 18A, we encourage our pitchers and corner infielders to wear masks. We don't demand that they do.

My DD will play every spot but pitcher. She wears one at 3rd by her choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00