Junkballers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Enjoy that mindset for now cause it's going to change here shortly! Now I could / would agree with you if your pitcher who owned those two pitches were lights out and in the top one or two percentage!

Had a very good pitching coach break it down for me one time in a conversation, set up pitches are side to side....strike out pitches are up and down, and she's wayyy more right about that than wrong!
This ^^^^ is wisdom. Also we rarely throw FB for strikes. If we get a called strike on a FB the ump is being generous.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
This ^^^^ is wisdom. Also we rarely throw FB for strikes. If we get a called strike on a FB the ump is being generous.
Anna's last two or three years before college, I rarely remember ever calling just a straight up FB. If I did it was probably to some non-conference team in HS who could just never catch up to it? Throw 9 strikes and let's go hit!

Jul 19, 2021
Look there are only so many kids with an elite fastball. I wish more kids would go to the offspeed and miss with the fastball....I know my hitters hate that.

I saw a very average "A" pitcher hold the would-be national champions (Beverly Bandits) to 1 run over 5 innings throwing nothing but changeups in a qualifier. Coaches were screaming, parents were mad, and the pitcher throwing the change wouldn't stop grinning.

"The best swordsman does not fear the second best. He fears the worst since there’s no telling what that idiot is going to do."
So you're saying that in 5 innings, lets say it was around 70 pitches total, she threw 70 change ups? and the Bandits never adjusted? This is verrrrryy interesting and thought provoking.

Jun 8, 2016
So you're saying that in 5 innings, lets say it was around 70 pitches total, she threw 70 change ups? and the Bandits never adjusted? This is verrrrryy interesting and thought provoking.
As a reminder the word changeup contains in it the word change...In that case, if true, they basically just couldn't hit slow pitching.

May 17, 2012

No, it was a majority of change-ups mixed in with fastballs off the plate. They hit it sometimes, and they hit it hard a few times but what they couldn't do was hit the change three batters in a row (to score runs).

There were a few kids that could resist (as a part of the swing) and those kids were pitched around.

It was a brilliant strategy and as I recall they pulled her after the third time (second time? I can't recall) through the lineup as they knew they were playing with fire. It took guts for the coach to do that as they were winning. It would have been easy to let it ride but they were playing for the win and clearly had a game plan. That is coaching at a high level, not playing the result and that's why I remember it more than anything.

Jul 19, 2021
No, it was a majority of change-ups mixed in with fastballs off the plate. They hit it sometimes, and they hit it hard a few times but what they couldn't do was hit the change three batters in a row (to score runs).

There were a few kids that could resist (as a part of the swing) and those kids were pitched around.

It was a brilliant strategy and as I recall they pulled her after the third time (second time? I can't recall) through the lineup as they knew they were playing with fire. It took guts for the coach to do that as they were winning. It would have been easy to let it ride but they were playing for the win and clearly had a game plan. That is coaching at a high level, not playing the result and that's why I remember it more than anything.
What were the velos of her fastball and change up? Ballpark.

Feb 24, 2022
Enjoy that mindset for now cause it's going to change here shortly! Now I could / would agree with you if your pitcher who owned those two pitches were lights out and in the top one or two percentage!

Had a very good pitching coach break it down for me one time in a conversation, set up pitches are side to side....strike out pitches are up and down, and she's wayyy more right about that than wrong!
I agree, if you can locate you can get girls out.

There are plenty of pitchers that have 3,4,5,6 pitches. But they get 95% of girls out with 1 or 2 pitches. Lots of pitchers have show me pitches that they throw just to throw. Give me a girl that has 2 great pitches (1 being a change of speed) over a girl that throws a drop, curve, rise, and slider that don't do much of anything. If you are talking about a girl that has 3 or 4 plus level pitches then YOU are talking about the top 1% or 2%.

May 21, 2018
Anna's last two or three years before college, I rarely remember ever calling just a straight up FB. If I did it was probably to some non-conference team in HS who could just never catch up to it? Throw 9 strikes and let's go hit!
I always wonder about this. I've heard some college pitchers say they never throw a fastball and others say they throw it quite often. Sam Show said she threw it regularly and that many pitchers do. Osterman I believe, said she rarely, if ever threw one.

I would imagine if you have big time velo you are more likely to keep throwing fastballs in college. Say like a Barnhill or Abbot.

Oct 4, 2018
Actually think it's kind of amusing when people yell out watch for the change up. When they have no idea themselves when it's going to be thrown. Their guesstimating in their own mind what pitch they might call. 50% at best. Didn't listen to the yakking in the background for that reason. For some Those kind of comments can really put hesitation and doubt into the brain of the batter.

Agreed. I really dislike parents making comments like that. It's 0-2 count, so Sally's dad has to do the "Watch out for the Change up!!!"

Thanks, I'm sure that helped a ton. Not.

Oct 4, 2018

Curveballs on the outside corner and off the corner followed by an inside rise ball account for many strikeouts my DD gets.

[EDIT] mostly when she's pitching, but sometimes when she's batting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott