Junkballers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
I bet you wouldn't have minded them if the pitcher told you they were coming..that was my point. Good hitters should be able to adjust to slow pitchers...(which is all a CU is if you know it is coming..)
I agree for the most part, but the Bandits are generally a more than adequate hitting team, so the pitcher in Gunner's example must have been doing something right.

DD's old team would get dominated by a Chaos pitcher who would come out and mix fast ball-drop ball, fast ball-drop ball. Then the next game would come out and throw fast ball-rise ball, fast ball rise ball..... It was maddening to watch. I asked her after the game if they were discussing what the girl was throwing in the dugout? (since it was the same 2 freaking pitches). Nope not a word.:cautious:

Jun 8, 2016
I agree for the most part, but the Bandits are generally a more than adequate hitting team, so the pitcher in Gunner's example must have been doing something right.

DD's old team would get dominated by a Chaos pitcher who would come out and mix fast ball-drop ball, fast ball-drop ball. Then the next game would come out and throw fast ball-rise ball, fast ball rise ball..... It was maddening to watch. I asked her after the game if they were discussing what the girl was throwing in the dugout? (since it was the same 2 freaking pitches). Nope not a word.:cautious:
This could be a case of me watching professional baseball for too long.. Grown men vs 13-22 YO females... 🤷‍♂️

Like 90% of the time on here, I am just arguing for the sake of arguing.. :ROFLMAO: I don't really care one way or the other. If I am wrong so be it..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I bet you wouldn't have minded them if the pitcher told you they were coming..that was my point. Good hitters should be able to adjust to slow pitchers...(which is all a CU is if you know it is coming..)
When hitting I look at where the defense is playing and how they're playing. When I saw a change up there were times would drop a sneaky bunt.

Actually think it's kind of amusing when people yell out watch for the change up. When they have no idea themselves when it's going to be thrown. Their guesstimating in their own mind what pitch they might call. 50% at best. Didn't listen to the yakking in the background for that reason. For some Those kind of comments can really put hesitation and doubt into the brain of the batter.

Feb 24, 2022
I think think at the 14u most pitchers are just starting to get to the level of truly owning a secondary pitch. My DD also just moved up to 14U. This weekend we saw two. One just had a change up. But there was real deception and she threw it in any count, and I don't think she left any up in the zone. The other threw a drop. Mediocre to below average fast ball and a real drop. There were more ugly swings against the drop than I care to think about.

I bet we'll start to see a lot more pitchers starting to own secondary pitches by the spring.
I agree. We were actually playing against a 2nd year 14U team. However, I've always said that if you have a plus fastball and a plus change up you don't need another pitch.

Jun 8, 2016
When hitting I look at where the defense is playing and how they're playing. When I saw a change up there were times would drop a sneaky bunt.

Actually think it's kind of amusing when people yell out watch for the change up. When they have no idea themselves when it's going to be thrown. Their guesstimating in their own mind what pitch they might call. 50% at best. Didn't listen to the yakking in the background for that reason. For some Those kind of comments can really put hesitation and doubt into the brain of the batter.
Huh?? Wth does any of this have to do with what I was saying...or was that the point..? Let me make this clear.

The more predictable a pitcher is, the easier it is to hit them. The less "nasty" that predictabl pitch is, the easier it is yet still.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I agree. We were actually playing against a 2nd year 14U team. However, I've always said that if you have a plus fastball and a plus change up you don't need another pitch.
Enjoy that mindset for now cause it's going to change here shortly! Now I could / would agree with you if your pitcher who owned those two pitches were lights out and in the top one or two percentage!

Had a very good pitching coach break it down for me one time in a conversation, set up pitches are side to side....strike out pitches are up and down, and she's wayyy more right about that than wrong!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802