Jumping back in to the fray???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Our Freshman coach this year found it was too demanding to have a full time job (out of town) and be back after school for practice. He burned thru the better part of his year's vacation time a couple hours at a time.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, it sounds like you need to talk to your DD. And are you saying that you are only there for 1 year? (Your DD is going to know which of her friends needs cut. But, you are liable to lose their folks as your friends.)

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
CB, here's another option. Let someone else be the head coach (even a body), and you can be the assistant coach, acting like a trainer in club soccer. You'd not only be training the girls, you'd be training the coach. That way, in a year if you want to watch your daughter play you're not leaving the program in a lurch. They will have a coach who has an idea of how to structure practices, how to deal with the girls, and what to work on. You won't be responsible for cutting the girls who are her friends -- it's the head coach's decision who stays and goes -- and you don't have to have that head coach intensity level.

After 15 years as a TB head coach, I am spending this year as an assistant, and am essentially filling the role I describe. It's fun. I pretty much run practices (with the full consent of the head coach), teach the skills and have a lot of input as to what we work on and our pre-game and in-game strategy, but I don't have to make the who plays when decisions at tournaments.

In talking to the young lady who is currently head coach next year that probably changes. We may flip roles, or she may leave entirely to focus on grad school. But for now, I'm having a good time. Heck, a couple of parents even asked me about their daughters' playing time, which never happened when I was head coach. So I'm the good guy for a change. :)

If you can handle working under someone else I think it might be a good solution.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207