Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Learn to be a better hitter and get over it!

Over and over I will say this
there are far more opinionated discrepancies simply from the umpire calling balls and strikes that happen incredibly more often than any of these pitching mechanic glitches.

Learn to be a better hitter!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
More perspective

If you're blaming the mechanics of the pitcher for not being able to hit the ball you're not focusing on the right mechanics to fix the issue.

Learn to be a better hitter!

Jun 8, 2016
While I agree a a rule is a rule, call it every time you see it or get rid of the rule, she is a freshmen. They are seeing if they can get in her head (assuming the opposing coaches are the ones bringing it to the attention to the umps). While the small leap she does doesn’t do much of anything in terms of gaining a competitive advantage from what I have read on here, making her think about it could effect her (along with getting the automatic ball)

Considering she shut down UCLA, the mind games seem to be not working. Also I would guess that by the time she is a Jr. that “rule” may be gone.

Granted it is early in the season, but the biggest takeways I took from that game, outside of Bahl, are
a) Faraimo pretty much shut down OU
b) UCLA's defense again "choked" in a big game

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
They called it and spoke with her about it during the Loyola game also (when she came in to replace Troutwein in the 5th). I don't believe she's replanting. I do believe she's exploding off the rubber and getting out there which is usually what we/some try to teach athletic pitchers. Given the typical "no-call" for this, along with the often deep trench that pitchers deal with in Rec, Travel and HS ball a small "leap" and brushing the toe nail, not to mention the changing and anticipated changing of this "rule" her style is to be expected and will be seen more often in my opinion. If she were replanting it would be a much bigger change for her and her mechanics when she is getting called for it. Seemed like in her case after getting called she was able to come right back and throw strikes. She locates and spins the ball with the best of them from what we've seen so far. And, the pitch calling for her style was very good.

Couple of other points after watching her...she expends a lot of energy out there, I wonder how long she's been a PO? Bouncing around and getting into those muscles, staying loose and exploding out of the starter blocks is something I've worked on with my DD but she also hits and will play CF at times when not in the circle...at some point efficiency and economy of effort come into play.

Yes, Faraimo did awesome as well once she was brought in. OU's offense is superb though!

Jun 8, 2016
Couple of other points after watching her...she expends a lot of energy out there, I wonder how long she's been a PO? Bouncing around and getting into those muscles, staying loose and exploding out of the starter blocks is something I've worked on with my DD but she also hits and will play CF at times when not in the circle...at some point efficiency and economy of effort come into play.
She batted 3rd or 4th on her very good 18U TB team and was in the lineup for OU the first game she pitched (which is an accomplishment in and of itself).. Not sure where or if she played the field for her TB team, but she looks to me to be a superb athlete. She does move around a whole bunch in the circle..tires me out watching her..lol.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
She batted 3rd or 4th on her very good 18U TB team and was in the lineup for OU the first game she pitched (which is an accomplishment in and of itself).. Not sure where or if she played the field for her TB team, but she looks to me to be a superb athlete. She does move around a whole bunch in the circle..tires me out watching her..lol.
Interesting, hadn't caught that yet. I'm sure we'll see & hear lot's more as this season goes on.
*Edited just because!

Jul 31, 2015
A balk in baseball can be as subtle as a slight tilt of the head or a slump of the shoulder or a shift of one foot.

A slight flinch by an offensive lineman can result in a false start penalty.

Jumping to start too early is measured in thousandths of a second in track and swimming and speed skating.

Violations such as these are called every time they happen, resulting in significant penalties, even disqualification, because they give one person or team an unfair advantage over their opponent. And each of them are far more subtle than JBs two inch leap.

Not enforcing an egregious and repeated violation of the leaping rule, which gives the pitcher a substantial advantage, or saying “well that’s how they do it in Australia, or Japan, or in the mens game, or yeah it’s a violation but just live with it / she’s a freshman / you can’t call it every time” trivializes the violation and sends a message of - oh well, it’s only softball.

No way a college baseball pitcher would get away with illegal movement on every pitch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619