Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
I didn't ask if most did it, I said how many? 1 in 20? 1 in 30? What I will say is that if they called it every time on somebody as high profile as Bahl then that would certainly send a message. Doubt they have the gonads to do it though..

Like I said, I don't know if it gives a competitive advantage or not. Some say yes, some say no. If it doesn't then get of the rule so we can argue about something else on here...lol.

Yeah, no doubt there's trepidation amongst umpires over calling out one of the sports rising stars.

Check out Barnhill's career stats, which I just posted. She was still very effective, but batters got many more hits off her, once she was flagged for illegal pitching, i.e. enforcing the rules evened things out more between the defense and the offense.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, no doubt there's trepidation amongst umpires over calling out one of the sports rising stars.

Check out Barnhill's career stats, which I just posted. She was still very effective, but batters got many more hits off her, once she was flagged for illegal pitching, i.e. enforcing the rules evened things out more between the defense and the offense.
I don't know, maybe teams starting bunting her more because from what I remember about her she would have been better off kicking the ball to 1B when somebody bunted to her...lol.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I don't think most pitchers do this.

Why?

- most pitchers are not taught to leap, or they are specifically taught not to leap
- not everyone has the athleticism to leap
- they get called on it before it becomes a habit
- they get called on it after it becomes a habit but before they go to college
- they do not have complacent/complicit coaches who are willing to test boundaries
- and most of all....it's not that big of an advantage for them

But...is a rule a rule if everyone ignores it? is what most people on here seem to be asking.
And I'm having a hard time with that circular logic.

Either enforce the rule as it is, every time, or modify it.
Leaping is just symptom of poor lower body mechanics. If you look at most any skippy, you will see that their mechanics are a hot mess. Barnhill was the poster child for someone who was able to overcome poor mechanics with raw athleticism. You can see this at most any high school or TB game. You will regularly see kids with a god awful swing mechanics who regularly hammer the ball. Most wash out as the level of play increases and out paces their athleticism. Some like Barnhill and others have the athleticism and go on to play at a very high level. But they are the unicorns. I cannot imagine anyone with a basic knowledge of pitching mechanics that would want their kid to take lessons from Barnhill, Bahl, or others. Would be interesting to see what some of them could do had they had proper instruction and developed truly great mechanics.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Why does it take two years to change a rule? Really think these inept bureaucracies hurts the credibility of the whole game. Just change the rule today. ATTN ALL 8U, 10U 12U 14U 16U PITCHING COACHES: Start teaching explosive leaping with a hint of replant NOW because that is what the rules will allow in a couple of years. Immediately stop teach dragging the toe. Instruct for the future. Do the heads of these governing bodies realize how stupid they look?

Jan 28, 2017
A lot of parents and coaches have worked like crazy to make sure their pitcher was legal and wondering if this limit them. If left alone would we have another great pitcher that never made it. I know several young girls that hat stopped pitching because they couldn’t drag their toe. Most threw hard and were good athletes.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Learn to be a better hitter and get over it!

Over and over I will say this
there are far more opinionated discrepancies simply from the umpire calling balls and strikes that happen incredibly more often than any of these pitching mechanic glitches.

Learn to be a better hitter!
Think you might have a slightly different view on rule enforcement if the umps were allowing baserunners to leap off the bag early and stealing at will.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not that leaping in and of itself is an advantage. It most certainly is not.

But it does allow some pitchers to attain a personal level of performance that is not possible when they are forced to pitch in accordance with the rules.

...???
Sooo you ARE saying some pitchers do get an advantage from it.

Which could translate to when the leapish becomes allowed there maybe more substantial pitchers.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Think you might have a slightly different view on rule enforcement if the umps were allowing baserunners to leap off the bag early and stealing at will.
That already happens.
Learn to have a better pop time!

imo
Cannot control/nor blame human faulty opinions who has to use their opinion to officiate a game.

Not saying I don't care about the rules. What I'm saying is I work on winning not whining.
There are far more opportunities players have an effect on the outcome of the game than any incidental opinions of the umpire. That is what I focus on, players producing!

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
They called it and spoke with her about it during the Loyola game also (when she came in to replace Troutwein in the 5th). I don't believe she's replanting. I do believe she's exploding off the rubber and getting out there which is usually what we/some try to teach athletic pitchers. Given the typical "no-call" for this, along with the often deep trench that pitchers deal with in Rec, Travel and HS ball a small "leap" and brushing the toe nail, not to mention the changing and anticipated changing of this "rule" her style is to be expected and will be seen more often in my opinion. If she were replanting it would be a much bigger change for her and her mechanics when she is getting called for it. Seemed like in her case after getting called she was able to come right back and throw strikes. She locates and spins the ball with the best of them from what we've seen so far. And, the pitch calling for her style was very good.

Couple of other points after watching her...she expends a lot of energy out there, I wonder how long she's been a PO? Bouncing around and getting into those muscles, staying loose and exploding out of the starter blocks is something I've worked on with my DD but she also hits and will play CF at times when not in the circle...at some point efficiency and economy of effort come into play.

Yes, Faraimo did awesome as well once she was brought in. OU's offense is superb though!
We watched her on TV in the PGF 18u championship. She batted high in the order and ran the bases. 20 strikeouts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1