Jordy Bahl ball position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 11, 2020
My DD turns ball down at 9:00 but then recovers and turns it up just before release. I assume this is inefficient? Would love your thoughts. Been trying to emphasize palm up the whole time. Easier said than done…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
My DD turns ball down at 9:00 but then recovers and turns it up just before release. I assume this is inefficient? Would love your thoughts. Been trying to emphasize palm up the whole time. Easier said than done…

My DD did same for a while because her first pitching coach taught ball to 2nd, push thru zone and hello elbow. Took forever to change. keep working….. it will eventually all kick in.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.

It's tough to recover and max out with that position, if her elbow is flexed it's not all bad. Finding the right cue is a lot of trial and error. Rather than focusing on her hand/palm ask her to pay attention to the ball and keep it "up" or on top of the hand. You might also try it from slingshot-k position and if she can do it there then build to full circle. Or perform the motion at half speed (step, no leap).

Aug 21, 2008
First two are rise grips likely based on where the laces are. She may have been taught to come over that way and exaggerate the snap under the ball as she comes down. The third pic is hard to see, but the Monarch one is definitely a change-up. Both the rise and change can be thrown deep in the palm, but there's no way she's getting under that ball in that pic and she's clearly off the laces. Lots of girls come down in more of a handshake orientation and then by 9:00 they are re-loaded or not depending on the pitch.
Incorrect. Jordan curls her index finger on her rise. She has extremely small hands so, every grip of every pitch requires her entire hand on the ball, that gives the illusion that she's throwing a change up based on still photos. She can throw her change off either rise or drop grip, it will vary on the kind of ball she's using and seam height. :)

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Best I have right now, I don’t think all pitchers get the hand completely under the ball. Some face 3B.

View attachment 25110
First, it is good to see video of where she is now, Oklahoma vs TB. I get the earlier pics and not knocking anyone but when they get to college things change.

2nd, I know her feet aren't shown that well but for a so called REPLANTER as victimized in another thread......I don't see it.

3rd @Shawn any chance you can post the same vid with her feet included? I think I may be seeing something but need her feet to be shown to confirm.

S3

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Start playing with a rise. The ball has to be on top of the hand to throw the rise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes