Jordy Bahl ball position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
Looked pretty hard for pics and in the only ones I could find, she is no where near palm up at 9, 10 or 11 o'clock. But maybe they were change ups. Although the odds of the only 4 pics out there all being change ups are astronomically low, anyone find some good pics or video of her from the 3rd base side to give us a better idea of what she's doing at 9 o'clock consistently?

5d8056065b901.image.jpg

images

5d387523b52d4.png

60e880b571c3a.image.jpg

May 27, 2013
I bet she has the ball facing 3B as she gets closer to 8, allowing IR to take over.

Jul 19, 2021
There are several well known pitchers who get into this hand orientation, but by 7:30, they have reloaded for whip. Ricketts and Finch?
I figure she must reload but was wondering if there was any video or pics out there to confirm. I can't find any but then again I'm pretty technologically challenged.

Does the "reloading" cause any inefficiencies versus staying palm up the entire time? I guess it doesn't hurt her too much since she throws gas but was curious about the effect in regards to the normal pitcher, not the unicorn AKA Jordy Bahl. Haha.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
IR, strictly speaking, does not involve the position of the wrist and forearm. There are two other subtle actions and positions that have an effect and often go unnoticed. One is radial deviation of the wrist, the other is forearm pronation. Add both of these to the arm action along with IR and you have maximum output. But radial deviation and forearm pronation are difficult to teach and so subtle that it's hard to tell by looking if a pitcher is utilizing both. Ball position becomes more important when using these two additional actions. The diagrams below show these actions.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
i'd like the ball to be more in her fingers and not touching palm of hand to increase speed. But she's already got some velo.

Jan 6, 2018
First two are rise grips likely based on where the laces are. She may have been taught to come over that way and exaggerate the snap under the ball as she comes down. The third pic is hard to see, but the Monarch one is definitely a change-up. Both the rise and change can be thrown deep in the palm, but there's no way she's getting under that ball in that pic and she's clearly off the laces. Lots of girls come down in more of a handshake orientation and then by 9:00 they are re-loaded or not depending on the pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00