Joan Joyce, the riseball and dropping the shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I put little faith into labratory reports. I put faith in what poeple that went out and did it and have the strike out records to prove it. If someone has not seen one, not my problem. Like BTO sang years ago "b,b,b,baby you just aint seen nothin yet, YOU AINT BEEN
AROUND.

The steeper the angle as it goes through the strike zone, the less likely the batter will get a good hit.

And if anyone wants to say Joan Joyce doesnt know what she talks about, you need to shutem up face for I sewem up lips!!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
99.9% of pitchers will never pitch at the D1 or higher level. For them, having the batters recognize the pitch early is not really an issue. For these pitchers, releasing a screwball from the outside, a curve from the inside, and a rise at the calf will benefit the pitcher in regards to using angle to beat the batters.

For those few top D1 pitchers who are throwing against programs that are increasingly getting better and more empowered at spotting pitches, having every pitch look different from release is a liability. I don't think that effects many people at all, but the information should be out there.

-W

Feb 7, 2013
I put little faith into labratory reports. I put faith in what poeple that went out and did it and have the strike out records to prove it. If someone has not seen one, not my problem. Like BTO sang years ago "b,b,b,baby you just aint seen nothin yet, YOU AINT BEEN
AROUND.

The steeper the angle as it goes through the strike zone, the less likely the batter will get a good hit.

And if anyone wants to say Joan Joyce doesnt know what she talks about, you need to shut your stupid face!

I should probably ask for my money back from the college professors who taught me empirical evidence to substantiate scientific claims. Instead, I should have gone to Skinner State University where blind faith, magic, and wicca are the preferred methods to explain physics and ball movement. Still waiting to see your example of a pitched ball completing stopping in mid-air and changing directions? I guess making a rise ball jump over a hitter's bat with late break and movement is child's play.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Here is a link 159 videos recorded or posted by Anthony Aresco: Tony Aresco - YouTube

If there is a riseball that curves in an upwards trajectory, he would have likely recorded it.

Joan Joyce is a very classy person who represents our sport well and was one of the greatest athletes of her time--maybe all time. I'm not sure I'd use the words "stupid face" with her name in the same sentence...

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I should probably ask for my money back from the college professors who taught me empirical evidence to substantiate scientific claims. Instead, I should have gone to Skinner State University where blind faith, magic, and wicca are the preferred methods to explain physics and ball movement. Still waiting to see your example of a pitched ball completing stopping in mid-air and changing directions? I guess making a rise ball jump over a hitter's bat with late break and movement is child's play.

Actually it should be Skinners school of been there and done that.

The leading laboratory experts in their field will tell you that the temperature of EVERY known material can be measured with an Infra-red thermometer / gun, without exception. My associates and I proved differently with a paint / coating hundreds of times. In a llab, on a hot plate, 2 inches away they can. However, on a roof or a wall 2 feet away, they cannot. They say its impossible, you are mistaken, it is against the laws of physics, butwe did it.

Those same experts also said that nothing as thin as a thick coat of paint can have any insulation value when applied to attic AC units and metal or flex ducts and we proved them wrong again.

The pitching 'Experts here say it is against the laws of physics for a riseball to actually rise, hop jump or whatever term you want to use. But, I have done it. I have taught others to do it and others have done it as well. I will use the polite words that were used to my team on the other things; When it comes to a riseball that actually does come up,, their experts are mistaken.

People can believe whatever or whoever they want. It is the people who actually go out and prove the experts are mistaken that I have my faith in.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
It was said that dropping the shoulder made a fb rise go up and in and I said seam and ball spin made movement, not a shoulder dip. Perfect back spin and seam spin make for a rise with no tail or less tail. Dipping makes for a FB starting low and ending high.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Actually it should be Skinners school of been there and done that.

The leading laboratory experts in their field will tell you that the temperature of EVERY known material can be measured with an Infra-red thermometer / gun, without exception. My associates and I proved differently with a paint / coating hundreds of times. In a llab, on a hot plate, 2 inches away they can. However, on a roof or a wall 2 feet away, they cannot. They say its impossible, you are mistaken, it is against the laws of physics, butwe did it.

Those same experts also said that nothing as thin as a thick coat of paint can have any insulation value when applied to attic AC units and metal or flex ducts and we proved them wrong again.

The pitching 'Experts here say it is against the laws of physics for a riseball to actually rise, hop jump or whatever term you want to use. But, I have done it. I have taught others to do it and others have done it as well. I will use the polite words that were used to my team on the other things; When it comes to a riseball that actually does come up,, their experts are mistaken.

People can believe whatever or whoever they want. It is the people who actually go out and prove the experts are mistaken that I have my faith in.

I started a new thread about a research article re How the Brain Tracks a Moving Object
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-discussions/14358-how-brain-tracks-moving-object.html

The following quote from that strikes me as appropriate.

"What we perceive doesn't necessarily have that much to do with the real world, but it is what we need to know to interact with the real world," Maus said."

Dec 20, 2012
And if anyone wants to say Joan Joyce doesnt know what she talks about, you need to shut your stupid face!

I put a lot of faith in a grown man making those types of comments. One who believes he has all the answers and anyone who diagrees is a "supid face". You must be a Democrat!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish