Jennie Finch's Right Shoulder?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
Also, when I look I don't see Finch moviing across the power line or changing her stride. I'm not a big fan of juming all over the power line either and changing stride lengths just throws in another variable. There's an entire string on drops but it appears to me that both Finch and Osterman in this video (video 1 by mark) are turning the ball over and at a minimum not following through up.

BLB

May 19, 2008
I have wondered this a long time (Sorry - Don't want to divert the thread). How can she get away with replanting her right foot on the rubber? I know you can slide the foot etc... but she is replanting and basically making a small step forward.

Bill

Good point but I am a great deal more concerned with rule makers giving way to bat companies in the manufacturing and marketing of weapons for bats. The potential dangers created to corner infielders and especially the pitcher is truly unbelievable. Why is there no lobbying from parents for rule changes safeguarding our youth from these trampoline bats?

Aug 21, 2008
omg BLB.. amen. amen. amen.

People want the pitching rules to stay antiquated and allow the hitters to have 2010 technology. Most infractions that pitchers do today is a direct result of trying to regain some kind of competitive edge against the other side's technology. I know I'm biased in this argument but that doesn't mean I'm not right. :) It's another example of dumbing down the game: making pitchers stay restricted while the other side catches up. make them use wood bats and cork balls and I'll be right with ANYONE who complains about illegal pitches. Until then... stop the complaining! The ball still has to cross the plate and you have a $400 weapon in your hand. LOL

Bill

May 7, 2008
DFW
Rollover Drop

Jenny does throw her shoulder out on the rollover. She almost chicken wings it at times. Here is a clip I have of her out on my YouTube site.

YouTube - Jennie Finch Pitching4

This was the pre Olympic tour in OKC and just happen to be the breast cancer awareness day so they were all dressed in pink. If you watch closely she does replant the foot. She did this all day without a ump even blinking about it. :eek:

On this particular day she came into the game for Abbott who was struggling a bit with team Canada. Later in the game Crystal Bustos solved that problem with one of the most amazing HR's I have ever seen in a women's game. (Sorry Marc :D)

I have other clips of her that day that I have not posted. I like a lot of what she does in terms of driving out off the rubber.

Dana.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Jenny does throw her shoulder out on the rollover. She almost chicken wings it at times. Here is a clip I have of her out on my YouTube site.

YouTube - Jennie Finch Pitching4

This was the pre Olympic tour in OKC and just happen to be the breast cancer awareness day so they were all dressed in pink. If you watch closely she does replant the foot. She did this all day without a ump even blinking about it. :eek:

On this particular day she came into the game for Abbott who was struggling a bit with team Canada. Later in the game Crystal Bustos solved that problem with one of the most amazing HR's I have ever seen in a women's game. (Sorry Marc :D)

I have other clips of her that day that I have not posted. I like a lot of what she does in terms of driving out off the rubber.

Dana.

So I assume that this is not the correct technique (or at least one you would teach) to throw a "rollover drop"? Also, someone earlier said that her follow through on this pitch was after the ball was released, but obviously some of the rollover is happening prior to actual release otherwise it would not impart any additional intended rotation on the ball? or does she do it to confuse the batter (make them think she is throwing a different pitch?)

Oct 18, 2009
So I assume that this is not the correct technique (or at least one you would teach) to throw a "rollover drop"? Also, someone earlier said that her follow through on this pitch was after the ball was released, but obviously some of the rollover is happening prior to actual release otherwise it would not impart any additional intended rotation on the ball? or does she do it to confuse the batter (make them think she is throwing a different pitch?)

IME it seems all teachers have different ways of teaching, none necessarily right or wrong. I think it depends on what works for them. We went to a Jennie Finch camp and Jennie's dad said he was her primary pitching coach. I'm not sure what qualifications he really has as a pitching coach but obviously she turned out alright. It also helps that she grew to be 6' tall and is an incredible athlete. He also didn't think that everyone needed a paid private pitching coach. He figured out what worked for her. He also said she didn't practice everyday. Her practice were her travel games on the weekends and that Finch Windmill and a Stalker Radar Gun. He said that was basically all you needed... and "nose behind the belly" on release.

Feb 6, 2009
My DD was taught to throw the roll over drop by a pretty good Canadian National pitcher and the way he explained it was at release make like you're bouncing a basketball. Everything else is EXACTLY the same until release point. Yet when she follows through, the fact that her hand is rolling over makes the remainder of her delivery look like Jennie Finches. It's not a conscious thing. If anyone has video of someone throwing a roll over drop and finishing right sholder down, please post it.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Socal

I was stating an observation I had when I watched her pitch at OKC that day. Was making no comment on the mechanics of Jennys rollover. From seeing her live I knew it was her rollover based on her shoulder motion. I have seen many female pitchers use that motion for the rollover.

I think in young pitchers it can lead to a chicken wing motion if their instructor doesn't know what they are doing with that type of movement. I also feel it puts a lot of stress on the shoulder.

Since you asked I would not teach it that way but it is still effective the way that Jenny throws it. I prefer to try and keep the motions of each pitch the same as much as possible so that it is much harder to pick out what pitch is being thrown.

IMO this particular pitch can be done just as well by applying more spin with the fingers and keeping the arm tight to the body as opposed to the shoulder movement.

Dana

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I found a great link that describes what you are talking about, and shows some elite pitchers throwing the drop ball (both peel and rollover drop). Once at the site, click on the video links.
Fastpitch Drop Ball

Last question that no one has addressed yet : ) Is this technique inconsistent with Board Members and others who have suggested that "internal rotation" is the key to better pitching and less injury (e.g. can/should you throw this type of drop ball utilizing internal rotation?). Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1