I've never heard of a left handed softball pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I've never heard of a left handed softball pitcher. How is that? How does a left handed pitcher have an advantage over a right handed batter anyway? Don't all the pitches still go the same places? I've never got that. I'm learning to pitch with my left hand just for the fun of it. I'm not a pitcher just a batter that practices pitching left handed with my free time. :)

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
Since you've never seen a left handed pitcher once you get to see one, you'll know what people say of having that advantage. It's how the ball approaches. Since you're so used to seeing right handed pitchers you'll surely see the difference. One great left handed pitcher is from the US softball team, Monica Abbott

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I've never heard of a left handed softball pitcher. How is that? How does a left handed pitcher have an advantage over a right handed batter anyway? Don't all the pitches still go the same places? I've never got that. I'm learning to pitch with my left hand just for the fun of it. I'm not a pitcher just a batter that practices pitching left handed with my free time. :)

If you have never heard of a left hand pitcher than maybe you should get a new hobby. Softball ain't it.

pdj

May 7, 2008
The best I ever saw was a lefty, Ty Stofflet. The old timers often said "it is impossible for a lefty to throw the ball straight." In my limited experience the lefty does seem to get the idea of a loose arm and whip sooner than a lot of young righties.

If you have never heard of a left hand pitcher than maybe you should get a new hobby. Softball ain't it.[/QUOTE

Actually my quote says that I've never heard of a SOFTBALL LEFT HANDED PITCHER. Obviously i've heard of a left handed pitcher I'm not that naive. Anyway if you're a real coach and your reaction is to tell a softball player that her hobby isn't softball then YOU need to find another hobby cause no real coach would approach a player in that form. :cool:

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Well the ball coming from a Left handed pitcher comes in to the catcher at an angle that is different than a right handed pitcher. If your a lefty batter then your looking at the hip realease closer than a righty batter does. They have to look accross the pitchers body to pick up the pitch. Changing the angles of the pitch to batters is one of the keys to being a successful pitcher, if every pitcher pitched down the middle every time then we would be playing softball games with pitching machines instead of players. :)

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
If you have never heard of a left hand pitcher than maybe you should get a new hobby. Softball ain't it.[/QUOTE

Actually my quote says that I've never heard of a SOFTBALL LEFT HANDED PITCHER. Obviously i've heard of a left handed pitcher I'm not that naive. Anyway if you're a real coach and your reaction is to tell a softball player that her hobby isn't softball then YOU need to find another hobby cause no real coach would approach a player in that form. :cool:

Go reread your own post. It said "left handed softball pitcher". If you said "softball left handed pitcher", what the heck does that mean? If you have never heard of a left handed softball pitcher then you "should" get a new hobby. What form is suggesting that someone who is clueless about softball should get a new hobby? I think it is good advice. Sounds like you are wasting your time.

Well left handed softball pitchers are rare. All I did by asking this question is that I have never faced a left handed softball pitcher or have heard about their being many left handed softball pitchers and I thought there would be an explanation of why there aren't many but in baseball there are many left handers. Why that "man" got angry I do not know. lol but anyway thanks Coach Lia for that and I researched and actually Monica and Cat Osterman are lefties. I had no idea I guess I just assumed they were righties. And thanks 96Coach that does make since that the ball would come at a different angle. Some people learn to switch hit but how could you train to hit left handed balls batting right other than changing the side you swing on?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes