It Passed......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Thanks... agree and I was also wondering what the point of playing on a “Gold” team as a freshman, summer showcases and team distribution of recruiting profiles there would be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The coaches will still be at the big showcases watching the 14's because they still have to see them. They can't wait until their junior year to start scouting them. You will probably stop seeing 12U teams in the top showcases at least I hope that happens.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
From an assistant for your beloved Gamecocks kids younger than HS become PSA's as soon as any type of recruiting talks happens. So technically they are not according to these by-laws but as soon as a school tried to have any type of conversation with them they become PSA's.

I saw his (Matt Lisle) comment about that on FB. I have requested some sort of written reference backing it up, and he said he would find it. I haven't seen it yet, though.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
How's this going to effect the 12/14U showcase tournament market? I heard from coach after coach, they hate the loss of competitiveness in this format and long for the traditional tournament format.

I have heard the same thing. It seemed like we had more coaches watching us during the actual bracket play at showcases like the Legacy last summer than most of the showcase games. Same thing at nationals.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Why don't these rules apply to basketball and football? My guess is those sports are cash cows and will always do what they want. It is not uncommon at all to see football and basketball players to start being recruited and talked to by football coaches in 8th grade.

Football and basketball have enough scholarships to have a complete team roster and all scholarships are full scholarships and this makes a huge difference. Anyone not on scholarship is a walk-on. They are not trying to make 11 scholarships fit into 18-20 players or more (some teams have as many as 30 players get time in a season). In addition, there is also a solid culture of commit/decommit in these sports where no one blinks when a player changes commitment or get dropped or whatever. I am sure money plays some part here, but is not really the main reason.

My point is, the more time to plan the better. I know families can still investigate schools on their own, but could be wasting their time if they won't be offered a scholarship to particular schools.

That is how it is now as well anyway. You will still be visiting schools etc, you just can't do the whole visit the team thing until Sept 1 of your junior year. It will be less clear where you are, but people will continue to do the things they do today. YOu are not excused from prep work just because you are no longer allowed to get a straight answer from a softball coach.

In football, verbal offers are made all the time, and broken all the time by both coaches, and almost as often, players. I follow football recruiting fairly closely and there are also a several different kinds of offers given out. Some offers are more of a "we really like you but we are waiting to hear from a couple guys we like better before we let you commit" type offers, often called non-commitable offers. Others are "we will take you as soon as you can sign" offers. Are softball coaches more selective? Football coaches obviously need more players but cast huge nets, giving out close to 80 offers but are only taking 20 something.

You can see how this is easier when you are dealing with full scholarships only and have enough scholarships for a full squad. It is a yes/no decision - do I want this guy or do I want that guy. Nice and easy. I am not giving 20% to this kid and 40% to this kid and taking away some % from a non-performer to give to a new player or a player who deserves some more money. If I give 20% to this kid I can only offer 30% to this kid - is it enough? Partial scholarships (and not enough of them) add a whole extra level of complexity along with the culture where breaking commitments is not publicly built into the culture.

I think that is part of the problem with the NCAA is that it is always making different rules for different sports.

Yes - but it is the limited partial versus roster size full scholarships that is at the heart of the issue.

Feb 15, 2017
Football and basketball have enough scholarships to have a complete team roster and all scholarships are full scholarships and this makes a huge difference. Anyone not on scholarship is a walk-on. They are not trying to make 11 scholarships fit into 18-20 players or more (some teams have as many as 30 players get time in a season). In addition, there is also a solid culture of commit/decommit in these sports where no one blinks when a player changes commitment or get dropped or whatever. I am sure money plays some part here, but is not really the main reason.

That is how it is now as well anyway. You will still be visiting schools etc, you just can't do the whole visit the team thing until Sept 1 of your junior year. It will be less clear where you are, but people will continue to do the things they do today. YOu are not excused from prep work just because you are no longer allowed to get a straight answer from a softball coach.

You can see how this is easier when you are dealing with full scholarships only and have enough scholarships for a full squad. It is a yes/no decision - do I want this guy or do I want that guy. Nice and easy. I am not giving 20% to this kid and 40% to this kid and taking away some % from a non-performer to give to a new player or a player who deserves some more money. If I give 20% to this kid I can only offer 30% to this kid - is it enough? Partial scholarships (and not enough of them) add a whole extra level of complexity along with the culture where breaking commitments is not publicly built into the culture.

Yes - but it is the limited partial versus roster size full scholarships that is at the heart of the issue.
Is it permissible for the booster program to fund scholarships?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45