It Passed......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I have the same question...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it only effects D1...

There are some things here (and this may seem cynical):

1) This isn't 'for the kids'. That is BS. It is because (some/most) coaches can't control themselves or police themselves and that negatively effected those that could or wanted to or were losing out because they couldn't bring themselves to recruit someone not even in high school yet. Watching coaches act like they did something great for the kids doesn't sit well.
2) Despite all the wording and restrictions and everything else, the real effect is that the whole 'verbal' things goes away. That is great for the coaches and may end up being great for later developing players (at some point)
3) Instead of verbals (which most coaches hate because they look bad when they have to rescind) we will have lots of 'wink wink' and BS talk. Lots of 'We would love to see X, Y and Z at our camp' and lots of weirdly worded conversations that wont be technically recruiting but wont be much different than happens today. There will end up with a whole lot of vague coded words the coaches will use and lots of players wil have NO idea where they stand until after Sept 1 where it will be a bit of a bloodbath. Coaches will be able to string players along a lot longer without having to make any commitments of any kind until they are sure they have a player on their hands and now they wont look bad when that kid they were interested in doesn't develop how they thought she might.
4) Sept 1st is also a stupid date. There is no reason to waste the summer between players Soph and Junior seasons when they are NOT IN SCHOOL only to open contact WHEN THEY ARE IN SCHOOL. See point 1)
5) Expect about a million announced commitments announced between Sept 1st and 10th. Maybe not this year, but definitely next year.

Is recruiting in a better place today than yesterday. Maybe? For the coaches - absolutely.

Feb 15, 2017

There are some things here (and this may seem cynical):

1) This isn't 'for the kids'. That is BS. It is because (some/most) coaches can't control themselves or police themselves and that negatively effected those that could or wanted to or were losing out because they couldn't bring themselves to recruit someone not even in high school yet. Watching coaches act like they did something great for the kids doesn't sit well.
2) Despite all the wording and restrictions and everything else, the real effect is that the whole 'verbal' things goes away. That is great for the coaches and may end up being great for later developing players (at some point)
3) Instead of verbals (which most coaches hate because they look bad when they have to rescind) we will have lots of 'wink wink' and BS talk. Lots of 'We would love to see X, Y and Z at our camp' and lots of weirdly worded conversations that wont be technically recruiting but wont be much different than happens today. There will end up with a whole lot of vague coded words the coaches will use and lots of players wil have NO idea where they stand until after Sept 1 where it will be a bit of a bloodbath. Coaches will be able to string players along a lot longer without having to make any commitments of any kind until they are sure they have a player on their hands and now they wont look bad when that kid they were interested in doesn't develop how they thought she might.
4) Sept 1st is also a stupid date. There is no reason to waste the summer between players Soph and Junior seasons when they are NOT IN SCHOOL only to open contact WHEN THEY ARE IN SCHOOL. See point 1)
5) Expect about a million announced commitments announced between Sept 1st and 10th. Maybe not this year, but definitely next year.

Is recruiting in a better place today than yesterday. Maybe? For the coaches - absolutely.
So it will give they players some leverage ala football?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So it will give they players some leverage ala football?

I don't see how except for maybe the top 50 or so players. Basically on Sept 1 D1 coaches will have X spots to fill with the now available talented juniors and there will be a huge rush to sign them as quickly as possible. Players will need to make decisions REAL quick when they get an offer because the window of open roster spots will likely be real small for the teams worth playing for.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
Please don't jump all over me for asking these questions as I am asking for info for myself and raising questions I have heard other parents ask. I also have no idea if my daughter will ever be recruited, she is only 12 and we don't think about that right now other than the fact that we tell her she has to maintain her grades. Why don't these rules apply to basketball and football? My guess is those sports are cash cows and will always do what they want. It is not uncommon at all to see football and basketball players to start being recruited and talked to by football coaches in 8th grade. Why can't girl softball players. I have a friend who's son is a freshman and is going to most likely play big D-1 football he has been contacted a ton already, they even set up an email account and PO Box for colleges. They already have a few schools in mind that he will probably go to but are taking it slow. They already have taken some unofficial visits to campuses and are making a plan to over the next few summers to make it some campuses, as a family, on their own dime to explore options. Why do people think it is better to not be able to get recruited until Junior year so the kids can cram all the information they can in 1.5 years or less? I am a teacher and some kids stress about college decisions and sports aren't even a factor. Some kids I have are going to school with academic scholarships that they received at the end of their junior year but where from schools that they applied to and were fairly specific and were only targeting those schools, if they didn't get the scholarships they would have had to start all over. I have another student that was offered a full academic scholarship from a prestigious school, at the end of her junior year, then didn't get accepted to the school even though the scholarship still stood (very weird case). My point is, the more time to plan the better. I know families can still investigate schools on their own, but could be wasting their time if they won't be offered a scholarship to particular schools. In football, verbal offers are made all the time, and broken all the time by both coaches, and almost as often, players. I follow football recruiting fairly closely and there are also a several different kinds of offers given out. Some offers are more of a "we really like you but we are waiting to hear from a couple guys we like better before we let you commit" type offers, often called non-commitable offers. Others are "we will take you as soon as you can sign" offers. Are softball coaches more selective? Football coaches obviously need more players but cast huge nets, giving out close to 80 offers but are only taking 20 something. I think that is part of the problem with the NCAA is that it is always making different rules for different sports.

Jul 14, 2010

4) Sept 1st is also a stupid date. There is no reason to waste the summer between players Soph and Junior seasons when they are NOT IN SCHOOL only to open contact WHEN THEY ARE IN SCHOOL.

Thanks... agree and I was also wondering what the point of playing on a “Gold” team as a freshman, summer showcases and team distribution of recruiting profiles there would be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I was also wondering what the point of playing on a “Gold” team as a freshman,

Playing against, and with, the best players can make you a better player and typically is more enjoyable??? At least that was the case when I played in the stone age when you didn't start worrying about being recruiting until Soph/Jr. year...
Of course this didn't have to cost 10K a year back then so the decision nowadays is more difficult...Maybe a byproduct of the stricter requirements will be cheaper TB.....yeah probably not :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
How's this going to effect the 12/14U showcase tournament market? I heard from coach after coach, they hate the loss of competitiveness in this format and long for the traditional tournament format.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45