It Passed......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
This is so stupid. The legislation passed is limited to prospective student athletes (PSA's) and does nothing to limit contact, or recruiting of 6th, 7th & 8th graders. I assume its because NCAA only has authority over PSA's, but you'd think they could have come up with some kind of agreement among coaches. This seems more like window dressing to get behind a measure to makes them look good, but has no teeth in it. Hopefully the two year no-contact period will help, but there seems to be way too many exceptions to put a halt to it.

Junior high parents can take comfort knowing the new rules don't apply to them.

Feb 15, 2017
This is so stupid. The legislation passed is limited to prospective student athletes (PSA's) and does nothing to limit contact, or recruiting of 6th, 7th & 8th graders. I assume its because NCAA only has authority over PSA's, but you'd think they could have come up with some kind of agreement among coaches. This seems more like window dressing to get behind a measure to makes them look good, but has no teeth in it. Hopefully the two year no-contact period will help, but there seems to be way too many exceptions to put a halt to it.

So in effect more recruiting earlier?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Wait...Where does it say that this doesn't apply to middle school aged players? As far as I can tell, this applies to all players prior to 9/1 Jr year. Maybe I'm missing something.

Nov 18, 2013
Wait...Where does it say that this doesn't apply to middle school aged players? As far as I can tell, this applies to all players prior to 9/1 Jr year. Maybe I'm missing something.

Definition of "Prospective Student-Athlete" | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA

A prospective student-athlete is a student who has started classes for the ninth grade. In addition, a student who has not started classes for the ninth grade becomes a prospective student-athlete if the institution provides such an individual (or the individual's relatives or friends) any financial assistance or other benefits that the institution does not provide to prospective students generally. An individual remains a prospective student-athlete until one of the following occurs (whichever is earlier):

The individual officially registers and enrolls in a minimum full-time program of studies and attends classes in any term of a four-year collegiate institution's regular academic year (excluding summer);
The individual participates in a regular squad practice or competition at a four-year collegiate institution that occurs before the beginning of any term;
The individual officially registers, enrolls and attends classes during the certifying institution's summer term prior to his or her initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution; or
The individual reports to an institutional orientation session that is open to all incoming students within 14 calendar days prior to the opening day of classes of a regular academic year term.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
PSA (Public Service Announcement) - you would think that they would address the PSA (Prospective Student-Athlete) issue right upfront. And seriously, does this only apply to D1?

Feb 16, 2015
South East
This is ridiculous, DD has been asked to call two schools since the announcement and both schools what her to visit the campus so that they can make her an offer. My DD is looking at me and asking me what should I do and to be honest I am almost at a loss of words.

Jul 29, 2016
Definition of "Prospective Student-Athlete" | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA

A prospective student-athlete is a student who has started classes for the ninth grade. In addition, a student who has not started classes for the ninth grade becomes a prospective student-athlete if the institution provides such an individual (or the individual's relatives or friends) any financial assistance or other benefits that the institution does not provide to prospective students generally. An individual remains a prospective student-athlete until one of the following occurs (whichever is earlier):

The individual officially registers and enrolls in a minimum full-time program of studies and attends classes in any term of a four-year collegiate institution's regular academic year (excluding summer);
The individual participates in a regular squad practice or competition at a four-year collegiate institution that occurs before the beginning of any term;
The individual officially registers, enrolls and attends classes during the certifying institution's summer term prior to his or her initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution; or
The individual reports to an institutional orientation session that is open to all incoming students within 14 calendar days prior to the opening day of classes of a regular academic year term.

Attorney here.

The definition of prospective student athlete here is from the NCAA BASKETBALL rules, and if you dig deeper on the site posted, you'll see that their definition also digs down as deep as 7th grade.

The intent of these rules is to prevent early recruiting of young athletes, and you are CRAZY if you think the NCAA is going to turn a blind eye on coaches who decide to recruit 8th graders and 7th graders because they don't technically fit within the PSA definition. If you're the coach, are you going to stake your program on such a (ridiculous) position?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles